Duramycin-10

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
manda

Re: Duramycin-10

Post by manda »

So when I read in the article:
Now you might think it would be easy to find out about such a commonly used medicine (at least commonly used everywhere except for in the UK where we have such silly medicine control laws), we knew the answer must be out there on the internet somewhere and exhaustedly we searched and searched (well Sandi did since she is the internet guru out of the two of us) but to no avail.

Despite finding the question posed in forums, on the Q&A sections of distributers and retailers of Duramycin 10, and even on the all knowing yet somehow unanswering mystical magical Yahoo Questions, we could not find a definitive answer.

In fact, the closest answer we could find to this great answered question of how long before eggs laid by chickens treated with Duramycin 10 become edible again was a blanket statement that the whole of the Duramycin distribution cartel seem to have agreed on ..

“It is recommended that this not be given to layers”

There is meant to be no reply?

If the birds have a respiratory infection, the first thing to do is find out why. Antibiotics are not going to help if it is a parasite or fungal disease....but the symptoms could be the same. I agree with you that a lot of Vets may not be bird specific - they are like the GP of the animal world - but like GP's they do have access to so much more information and resources..and avian veterinary advice. Of course if anyone isn't happy with the advice their vet gives they can always source an avian vet themselves and deal with them directly.

It is not a personal attack on you but having put the name of the drug into a search and getting that come up, and little else, I understand the person writing the articles frustration. When it's doesn't appear in the UK vet compendium...then it makes me even less likely to use something on my animals....saving money or not (and to be honest no eggs for 5 weeks would not).

I seem to remember, not a couple of weeks ago,another medication for my beloved chook's, and now people are using it everywhere.!!!!

Indorex is a veterinary household spray, licensed in the UK. People had used it (including bluebell who works in a vet clinic) and had good results. Duramycin 10 is not licensed in the UK (or NZ where I am) so there is a big difference there.

I am always interested in things to use on the chooks (and any of the other animals I've got) BUT are you saying that if we agree with you that's OK but if we don't we should just shut up?
Whether you want a reply or not (and I don't think anyone got high and mighty with you before...maybe you will think I am now and maybe I am :? ) this site has a duty to provide information from all angles (whether you like it or not). It would be irresponsible of anyone to say nothing if we have found information to the contrary about anything (doesn't have to be medication)....but if there is a wonder thing out there we haven't heard of or is new of course we're interested.....personally I think you're response was uncalled for.

Reply or not...I'm OK with it either way.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny

bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Well said, Manda.

Kracked-It, people were just trying to point out to, perhaps, newer chook keepers that they cannot just buy antibiotics off a site and give it to their hens without a correct diagnosis of what is actually wrong with their hens. Have you thought of the consequences of telling folk to go and buy a product illegally and allowing it to enter the food chain??

As I keep pointing out time and time again all Veterinary Surgeons are qualified to treat animals and prescribe medication - this includes prescription only medical (POM) (which may require a signature of a off-licence product and prescription only veterinary (POV or POMV) products. There are occasions when vets will not prescribe antibiotics, because due to the nature of the drug, over-use in the animal world (including humans) is not the right thing to do. With every action there is a consequence.

I take exception to your comment about high and mighty - people on here are trying to help the DTL community. I have re-read all comments and no one (who responded to your posts) was rude or anything, so don't know why you feel wronged.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Nefertari
Longlasting Laner

Post by Nefertari »

Well said Bluebell, manda and mo.

Whether forum readers are new keepers or experienced, being encouraged to blindly take advice by another forum member to get licenced medicines off-line is foolhardy in the least. Telling people to ask questions does not mitigate the original 'advice'.

It is not saving anyone money by buying any types of medication off-line if the result is that we might possibly lose our pets. If anyone is not happy with the service they've had from their vets then surely the best thing is to change vets.

I saw a vet just before christmas with 2 of my ex batts and wasn't especially impressed - especially their prices - over £200 on 2 clinic appts and 2 Baytril. Fast forward to last week and another vets surgery. Clinic consultation and 7 days of Baytril prescription £20.00.

Having read previous posts from the OP, it would appear that they just don't like it when other people do not immediately agree with them.

i think the only person being rude or high and mighty is the OP.
It'll be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I may be talking out of my posterior here & if I am I'm sure I'll be put right.. )t'

I do get your point re the frustration of seeing a vet who hasnt much of a clue about chickens - and maybe an experienced chook keeper would be able to tell the vet whats wrong with his / her bird.. but there are a lot of folk who are not experienced enough to be able to diagnose, and there are a lot of symptoms in chickens that could be very confusing.
Anti biotics are not effective for a lot of chook ailments and which one of us would know if a chook can be given Duramycin-10 (which seems to stay in the system a long time) and then be safely dosed with another medicaction once a correct diagnosis has been made?
Just a quick example -
One of my chicks looked hunched up and unwell, stopped eating & drinking - I had found red poo but even after years of chook keeping, I did not diagnose coccidiosis.
If I had dosed the chook up with Duramycin-10 'just to be on the safe side because I had it on hand' and then found out that the chick was suffering from coccidiosis - which is caused by a parasite and anti biotics would have been useless - would I have been able to give her baycox as well or would the two medications have an adverse effect on each other & on the chick?
Its not 'simple' Kracked-it, and its a shame you reacted so aggressively to the replies to your post.. We cant all be right all the time - this time your well meant suggestion was wrong.
Members of this forum have got to be able to reply and most certainly in the case such as this it would have been completely irresponsible not to.
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
KRACKED-IT
Lively Laner

Post by KRACKED-IT »

Could not agree more Richard,but the replies just seem
to cover up the fact that these people DO use dr-ugs on
their chickens that they are supposed not to.Then turn
around and tell somebody else they are not to do it !!
Who do the begginers ask,the vet.They were not told to
blindly use it,just the opposite.And this OP does not have
any opinions on whether people use what he has found or
not.They are put there as a suggestion,not as an instruction.
I do take your point as I mentioned I believe in my 2nd post.
But I do not need preaching to by certain people who base
their replies on the backs of other peoples.
Main thing being just about everybody uses dr-ugs
they are not supposed to on their chook's,and cannot
deny it.
And I don't feel wronged,there is no venom in my
posts,just opinions,which as I have said will appear no
more.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

KRACKED-IT wrote:Could not agree more Richard,but the replies just seem
to cover up the fact that these people DO use dr-ugs on
their chickens that they are supposed not to.Then turn
around and tell somebody else they are not to do it !!

Main thing being just about everybody uses dr-ugs
they are not supposed to on their chook's,and cannot
deny it.

Not exactly sure what you mean here +confused+
If you are talking about anti-biotics and other dr-ugs that require a prescription then I would imagine the vast majority will only get these from a vet as there is no other way, certainly in this country, to obtain them legally. You could probably get them on the interweb from abroad and hope Customs don't pick them up. If they did I'm not sure if you would be in breach of some sort of legislation, probably would be.
If you are talking about medication of a non prescription variety being used then I suppose you could be sort of half right in that some things are not licenced to be used on poultry.
Just as a case in point, the use of Ivermectin for worms and lice etc. This is not licenced for poultry but that, as I understand it, is just because the company has not sought to test officially for this use. We use it but only after it was recommended to us by a poultry vet using the doses he advised for it's use.
As far as I can see no one has critisised your post as such, merely put their point of view on the subject across and yes, sometimes they are commenting on what others have posted and not just on what you have posted in isolation.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Nefertari
Longlasting Laner

Post by Nefertari »

I don't and wouldn't use any medication on my chooks (or my cats) which has not been specifically prescribed by a vet. The only exception to that is Flubenvet which is meant for hens anyway.

and I can agree and endorse whomsoevers post I want to.
It'll be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end.
KRACKED-IT
Lively Laner

Post by KRACKED-IT »

You see,even you have EXCEPTIONS.
Nice word that,gets you out of a lot of
chicken manure.
manda

Post by manda »

I think we are very conveniently getting away from the original post....of course there are exceptions to everything.

I the case of this specific drug that:
!) Is not available or licensed in the UK.
2) That information from the company and distributors is difficult to get and
contained within it is that it should not be used with laying hens.

Yes I will say to people to use Daktarin oral gel on chooks with sour crop (I'm assuming that you are looking for full disclosure)...it is an antifungal..licensed in the UK, available over the counter and proven to be effective in the treatment of yeast infections....which sour crop is (and I'm not giving you a teaching lesson that is for the benefit of new chicken keepers so they know what I'm going on about). Sour crop is an easily diagnosed condition and there is no mistaking it.
If there is anything else wrong with the chook after the sour crop is resolved then it needs a vet but as sour crop is an easily diagnosed and life threatening issue that can be resolved with an over the counter antifungal I think that is an acceptable exception...and before you ask yes I think there are those exceptions that are acceptable and those that are not...unlicensed and unavailable in the UK / country you are in come under the not for me.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Kracked-It

You keep saying you're not saying anything else but you can't leave it alone.
There are no exceptions other than common sense and advice from Professionals.

No one's been trying to pull you apart.

Enough's enough

Please,

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
KRACKED-IT
Lively Laner

Post by KRACKED-IT »

Thank you Richard,but tis not I who will not leave it alone,as
you can see by the post before your's.But I will as you say leave
it alone because enough is enough,and I cannot for whatever reason
get these people to realize that they to are doing the same thing.
For whatever reason.
Goodbye
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I assume 'goodbye' means 'goodbye'.

Sorry to see you go kracked it.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome