Floody hell!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
wibble5
Learner Laner

Floody hell!

Post by wibble5 »

Hi all,

Just wondered, has anyone had any problems with the awful weather we've been having? Fortunately my yard has escaped the floods, but that didn't stop my silly girls trying to get out and getting wet! I left the small chicken door open ajar as I felt sorry for them and I think they went out because they were just so bored of being in the shed. I keep caving in and giving them treats cos I feel so sorry for them! :cry: But one of them, Guinness, (named after my favourite pint), still laid me an egg in spite of it all!

Only half a mile away from me in central Hull there are loads of streets flooded, so it's a blessing it hasn't been worse, really. Will they be OK if they're a bit wet? I'm afraid they'll catch a cold. The shed seems dry, but I don't know whether to bring them in to the kitchen where it's warm (but I know they'll poo all over the place).

Hope you all haven't had too much of a bad time with the wet weather.

Sam

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

i didnt realise u was up there wibble, i have family in driffield!!

hope all your friends are well.

the chooks will be fine i would have thought! if they get flooded then bring them in! but hold fire till then, saves on poop cleaning! as for the cold.....if they can get through winter just fine, they should be just fine in this environment.....till it floods that is!

fingers crossed for you!

kat
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Mine usually stay out in all weathers but they were all in the arc in yesterday's downpour. Leave them to it, so long as they can get into the dry if they want to.
I thought of you when I heard Hull was flooded.
My OH was brought up in Beverley and a few years back we spent some time there looking after his mother, if we were there together on a tuesday we'd go to Hull folk dance club at the junior school near the crem.
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

Saw the floods on the news last night....I hope you, your families, feathered and fury friends are all OK!

take care
JOdi
wibble5
Learner Laner

Post by wibble5 »

Yeah, they're all fine - I was really lucky, as others have had a really bad time of it in other parts of the city. I think on some farms in the countryside east of Hull some poor little chickens have drowned, which is really sad. Thanks for your concern. But in fact, as I write this, one of the girls is in very fine voice again, having done another rather large egg! (God, I wish there was a way to shut her up, she doesn't half squawk the house down!!) :oops: The bad weather and being shut up in the shed hasn't affected their egg production at all, as I thought it would have done.

Sam
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

has it affected theire moods at all?
mine seem to like me alot more now that the storm has been!
they might think of me as their hero cos i saved them from the yuck and the noise, let alone the fox!
*breaks into a song* (doesnt know the words!) laaa laa HERO, holding up for a hero, da da la di daaaAaaa!
U know the one!
wow im feeling energised today :-D
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Floody hell!

Post by AnnaB »

wibble5
I too have one that is very vocal - you have to learn to live with it! Another has got the sweetest cluck when she is excited about her treats - yesterday she had pasta and sweetcorn and she was like a child that had been given the run of a sweetshop