Keeping pests out

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Keeping pests out

Post by Emmamoo »

So as you know if you read my brief posts, I'm due my chickens.

What I'd like to know is, how can I do the best to keep rats out? I'm all clued up on foxes, but the rats do make me feel a bit *shudder*. Also are red mites a real problem? I also noted the flies in the poop compost thingy me jig. EEEEEEEK :shock:
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!

melons
Legendary Laner

rats

Post by melons »

I've bolted my hen house onto patio slabs, then put some straw in one end of the run & bark chippings in the other, for them to scrat about in, easy peasy to clean too. I've also grown a big bowl of grass for them to muck about with, so they still get some grass while I'm at work, then they come out in the garden. Try not to feed too much on the grass etc, the you'll limit the amount of critters you attract.
Rats will be around regardless of your chickens, meeces are harmless enough, but rats will take eggs, many years ago, we also lost a chicken to rats, a potential problem at the end of the harvest when they are chased out of the fields.
Cheers
mel x
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

i know ive got rats around, and that was b 4 we got the chooks!!
neighbours gardens are really overgrown and i think theyre in his garden (to the left of me)!
i make sure there is no left over spilt chook food on the floor for them to feed on! not seen one yet but i know they watch me and curse me when im out there with a dustpan and brush!
i give the chooks as much food as they need and no more, any they spill get swept!
pesky critters )de:
wendy

Post by wendy »

HI
I back onto a large field, so we are going to get mice and rats. I can live with the mice, but not the rats.
The thing I have found that works best. Is the litter from a ferret tray. I have put this down where there were rat holes and I don't seem to have any rats. Thank goodness.
It is a kinder way to 'persuade' them to keep a way. Other than that it is poison that works. You will win some battles with rats, but never the war I am afraid.
I don't find flies a problem, as I try to keep everything as clean as I can with chickens. Red mites seem to be a yearly thing, as with rats it is a constant battle. Last year was really bad, as it was so hot. I am sure if you put red mites in the search on this site you will find out all our different ways to combat them
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning