New day - less hassle?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Veq Queen
Learner Laner

New day - less hassle?

Post by Veq Queen »

Good morning folks, I thought I'd keep you up to date. I could be asking for trouble by writing this – but I think things might be looking up!

Hubbie got home last night at about 11.00 and we put the two youngsters back into the roost, but left the ramp down. I slept fairly fitfully – listening out for squawking, but by the time I got up at around 6.30 I’d heard nothing. When I got downstairs and looked out of the window I was treated to the sight of bully hen sitting at the bottom of the ramp – I swear if she could fold her wings like crossed arms she would have done, and there was definitely a “don’t mess with meâ€

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

keep up the good work VG
youre doing just fine!
trial and error is the way to go!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Thats good to hear. Hopefully it will get better as she gets used to them.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Veq Queen
Learner Laner

Post by Veq Queen »

Good morning again folks,

As you all predicted - things have calmed down alot :)

The older hen still has a habit of "guarding" the ramp so the youngsters are nervous about coming down into the run. But if I encourage them, once they are downstairs they are reasonably content. Oldie still pecks at them and occasionally chases the smallest one, but hopefully the novelty will wear off and anyway the youngsters are far more nimble than her.

Roost time last night was wierd - Oldie was the first one up to bed! I've come to the conclusion that she is not a natural dominant hen. Given a couple weeks, my money is on one of the youngsters - who has already had a go at nicking strawberries and other treats from right under Oldie's nose!

So thank you very much for keeping me calm, and to anyone else in the same position - the first 36 hours are the worst! For the future I think I will 1) try and get youngsters who are just a little bit older and have been out in the open before and 2) get youngsters whilst we still have 2 oldies rather than waiting until we go down to 1. The latter suggestion was from hubbie which is great as it means we can go up to 4 hens rather than 3 :-D :-D

Have a good weekend everyone,
VQ
wendy

Post by wendy »

There you go, great to hear things have more or less settled.
Wendy
Last edited by wendy on 29 Jun 2007, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

oh im so pleased VQ!
perseverance see, works wanders, bet ur nerves are shot to bits though :shock:
worth all those anxious hours afterall!

well done you!

kat xx
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good news!!

I think we have to accept that they are creatures with their own ways, not always acceptable to us!!
For them, a firm peck or the occasional bust up is quite natural and they seem to take most of it in it's stride.

Once they know who's who, they'll be fine, but like any family they'll argue over the silliest thing.

So, fine work to keep an eye on them - now you have the weekend to keep watch!

)t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome