please advise a newbie

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
henny penny
Learner Laner

please advise a newbie

Post by henny penny »

I have four Araucanas (excuse spelling), one rooster and three hens. They are about a year old. The hens are laying aproximately three eggs a day. I also have six chicks who are about eight weeks old, Golden Comets. I would love some ideas about introducing them. What age, the best way, if they will mix good, etc... Also, one of my hens is being pecked-no blood yet. I've watched and can't figure out who is doing it. I'm a new chicken owner. Just started last year. Thanks

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

hi henny penny, welcome!

this post may be of use to you! www.downthelane.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=415

its another forum memeber going through the whole introduction thing. putting her new chickens with old ones and trying to prevent world war 3! its not always bad, but this is a bad case and may be worth watching so you can get an idea of what could happen!

good luck

kat x
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I think if you let them see eachother first, then do the introduction in the dark, should be OK.

Just be up early the first morning to see what happens when they come out. Problem is that, at present, early is early!!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
henny penny
Learner Laner

Thank you

Post by henny penny »

I wil try the link, thank you. I know it'll have to be early, the rooster crows at about 4am. Thanks to you both. Do you think I should wait till they're a little older?
I believe
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

BTW, I'll do your piccies (plus three other peoples) ASAP.
The PC's back and running now - just finding time to do the editing etc.

I must say your Ark is a bit posh!!

(A teaser for the others!!)
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

oooo richard is it one of those "posh" arks? with "posh" chooks?