Sleepy chicken!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
wibble5
Learner Laner

Sleepy chicken!

Post by wibble5 »

Hi, just wondered if this is normal - one of my hens came into the kitchen, sat on the doormat and thrust her head under her wing, and just dozed off! It was in the middle of the day, sun shining. When she was outside she also appeared to yawn a bit, opening her beak wide, and her eyes were looking a bit sleepy at one point. Otherwise she looks fine, and still runs away at a pace when I'm trying to catch her (bit worried about her scaly legs). )chu: Do chickens often have "catnaps"?

Cheers

Sam

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

mine spend some of their time dozing, but not in the kitchen - usually stretched out in the sun.
They can't be getting much sleep at night, they stay up till dark, and are clucking to be let out whatever time the cat gets me up in the morning
wibble5
Learner Laner

Post by wibble5 »

Hmm, that probably explains it, little stop-outs! This morning they -well, the loud one, anyway - was squawking furiously to be let out at 7am! Not good if you were in the pub till last orders the night before :? ... rushed downstairs at 10 to the dozen to make sure she didn't get the neighbours up too. :oops:

Sam
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

lol mine dont ever seem to sleep during the day or lay spread out :shock: spose theyre just getting used to it all still! :-D

kat x