How do you tell if you have red mite?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well you can, but it isn't creosote.
I don't know if what they sell is any use.

wibble5
Learner Laner

Post by wibble5 »

Finally "plucked" up the courage to pick Stella up and give her legs the vaseline treatment. Don't feel so guilty now. Did it after 10pm when it was dark and she was sleepy and I could just pick her up out of the chicken house. She nearly kicked off but I held her so tightly she couldn't escape! But after I put her back, one tiny little orange fly-type thing came off her on to my shirt, it was really small and had wings. Is this a red mite? (I'm itching thinking about it... :? ) Also, does anyone know where to get a good deal on red mite powder or spray? Can you get it from pet shops or is it best bought online? I'd appreciate any advice.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I didn't think mites had wings.
Dunno what it was though
wibble5
Learner Laner

Post by wibble5 »

Hopefully it wasn't a mite. I guess there would have been more of them falling off her, too, if she was infested with them. But I'm still concerned about the scaly leg issue and don't know whether her legs are infested. They don't look that great. Now I'm getting more confident with holding her, I think tonight I'll grab her again and spray some surgical spirit on her legs, just to be on the safe side, as I've heard that sorts the problem out. I'd hate for her to go lame because I didn't catch the infestation earlier. I'll also give the shed a good clean and get some spray or powder to put in it. On an unrelated note, why do they always want to spend more time sitting in my kitchen staring quizzically at me instead of exploring the great outdoors to find worms and weeds?? :!:
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

cupboard love!