feeding the chicks

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
henny penny
Learner Laner

feeding the chicks

Post by henny penny »

Hi, I did put my six chicks in with the three hens. I gave the rooster away as one of the hens were getting pecked and I suspected him. They seem to be doing ok after one day but I have a little dilemma. The chicks at eight to nine weeks old were still eating medicated starter. The hens who are laying quite nicely are eating laying mash. Is it ok to put the medicated starter in with the hens, knowing that they probably will eat it? Or will it go into the eggs? Does anyone know about this? I'd appreciate the help :) .
I believe

Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

Hi

I changed my girls over to layers pellets about a week ago on the advice of the local feed store - my chooks are about 20 weeks old and they said that they need to come off the medicated feed in time to get the antibiotics out of their system prior to laying eggs. So based on that, I think the medication will come through in the eggs if the older girls eat it.

cheers
Jodi
henny penny
Learner Laner

Post by henny penny »

Thank you Jodi for that info. Just in case you were wondering, I ended up separating the chicks in the house as the hens were pouncing on them. They are now in the house with chicken wire surrounding them. Thanks again!
I believe