Red mites

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
melons
Legendary Laner

DIATOM

Post by melons »

This is where I got mine from, 25 kilo's for £25 then £10 postage
or
10 kilo's for £15 then £8.50 postage, I can also buy ot locally, but can't remember the price.
Hope this helps.

http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/health.html
Cheers
mel x

Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

How long does 25kilo of the stuff last you Mel?? :shock:
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Dear All,

Got my hens back in mid August, but haven't yet used any of the Red Mite powder that I bought just in case. There are no signs of red mite. Should I be using it on them anyway as a precaution? Sorry if that's a daft question :oops:

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
melons
Legendary Laner

Diatom

Post by melons »

Willow,
I've only had it a few weeks, I've never had red mite yet, the bugs which originally got this thread started, weren't the dreaded red mite, some other bush dwelling, (if you get my drift :oops: )
So I was alternating with poultry shield & strong dettol, which people have had success with, now it's damp weather I wanted to use something dry, but I'm using it sparingly, nest boxes, perches & a general shake aboutie.
So I can't really answer properly yet.
mel
Cheers
mel x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

HI Michelle... Dont ever think you're asking a daft question on here, no such thing!! :mrgreen: and I should know as I'm constantly asking them :mrgreen:
I havent got any anti red mite stuff as yet and (fingers crossed) havent seen hide nor hair of one of the beasts.. I am looking for it and will get some but I'm not going to use it as long as they're clear..
I check under the roosts for blood specks every time I clean and check the ends of the roosts etc where apperently the little bugs hide during the day.. as soon as I spy one I will be bringing out the big guns though and will then probably use it everytime I clean out the hen house.. (thats just my humble opinion though remember) )t' ^b:
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Thanks Willow,

Didn't want to think that I was being irresponsible in any way by not dusting them with powder. I also check their house every morning when I clear out their doings and they certainly all seem healthy enough (at least two out of the six are laying now - yippee!) :-D

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

You'll soon be over run with eggs!! )c+ )t'

Albert Einstein
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Hopefully )c+
melons
Legendary Laner

red mite powder

Post by melons »

The red mite powder I use on the girls as a deterrant once a month, it's all organic superdooper smelling stuff, it's meant to repel them, I only use it that often or it can block their pores.
I got mine from the Omlet web site, it's cheap on there & so is their poultry spice. I have paranoia about red mite, so throw everything at it, but some people go years without any bother, but my neighbours girls were riddled this summer when we looked after them, so I worry they'll come trouncing across the garden & into my hen house :shock:
You may well never have any problems, I hope not :-D
Cheers
mel x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I remember reading your posts on the all out war you declared on your neighbours chooks parasites.. made good reading Mel!!

Albert Einstein
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Yeah remember the neighbours story aswell - was funny how you were re-arranging everything before they got back! :)
Small steps lead to big changes
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Red mites

Post by AnnaB »

melons
Went onto the site to look at the diatom - isn't the 25kgs something else?? underneath there is diatom at £19.99. I tried to get info on the stuff and can't. Have you got the ingredients?
Thanks Anna
melons
Legendary Laner

woops

Post by melons »

woops your right, it was for something else, sorry if this mislead anyone :oops:
Our students are back at work next week, so I may finally have to do some work, so my posts will be a bit hit & miss, that one was a miss!
It is where I got it from though :-D
It arrived by recorded delivery.

As for killing red mite, I did go into kill over drive, & enjoyed every minute of it, they deserve it :-D
Says the pacifist :oops:
Cheers
mel x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Re diatomaceous earth - The chap has replied and they are expecting a delivery on tuesday.. He will contact me with a price and available volumes etc...

Albert Einstein
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Here's the reply recieved today.. not very good news I think..

"The powdered diatomaceous earth is packaged in 25 Kg sacks, and these are now available at £47 including delivery and VAT. I am sorry we will not be selling smaller quantities of this product, however perhaps you can share a sack with some friends?"

Best regards,
Rob Sampson

RS Minerals
23 Allerston Way
Guisborough
Cleveland
TS14 6GA

Tel 01287 631530
Fax 01287 637274

www.rsminerals.co.uk
www.natural-zeolite.co.uk

Albert Einstein