Are 3 chickens better than 2?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Are 3 chickens better than 2?

Post by OldForum »

Amanda
Is it correct that the social structure of chickens means that it is preferable to have 3 rather than 2 does anyone know please?

Richard
Hi Amanda,

I really haven't heard that one.

What I have found is that any new introductions tend to stick together for a very long time.
They'll find their little slot in the shed and roam around quite separate from the others.

Even ex-battery hens, although they probably never knew each other before you got them, do this as well.

Probably simply "we're the new ones"

If anyone else has experience, it would be interesting to know.

Cheers for now, Richard

PS - Sound you're a bit like me - start with2 then.....onwards and upwards !!!!!

Wendy
Hi Amanda,
When I got mine 4 [at the princely sum of 50p each!!!] Diana would not let 2 go. The least amount she said Henhouse sent out was 3. Just in case one did unfortunately die. Single chickens don't do well.

Amanda
Ah yes, of course, that makes perfect sense. Right, three it is then.

Many thanks Wendy.

Magenta
Hi Amanda,
I hummed and haaed(sp?) about getting hens and took the plunge two years ago. Haven't bought an egg since unless we've been on holiday.

We got three ex-batteries and three Black Rocks. Two years on, we have one ex-battery left and the three Black Rocks - all still laying well. You have to accept that the ex-batteries might not last more than a winter or two but it's great for kids to know that you're rescuing and so a short life with you is still a bonus. The two we lost both had two summers and a winter free ranging and happy.

Definitely agree that three is a minimum. They are very sociable and like to flock together when they dust bath etc. Also, they are very interested in each other,always watching in case one finds something they want. We have just taken on another five ex-batteries in the hope of keeping egg production going over the winter. We only went for three but came away with five. You will love watching them rehabilitate and the eggs are better than any you can buy!