broody chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
alison
Learner Laner

broody chickens

Post by alison »

Hi, help! i have 4 speckledy chickens approx 22 weeks old, one went broody 4 weeks ago, she is now sitting on 6 fertile eggs in the hope that they will hatch. One of the others is now going broody, what can I do to get her out of going broody? :?

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

broody chickens

Post by AnnaB »

Hi alison

If they are so young I would remove the eggs. How do you know they are fertile? Do you have a cockerel?
See what the others post.
Anna
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

keep lifting her off and don't leave any eggs around for her to sit on. When they've finished laying for the day you could shut the pop-hole so she can't get in.
Is the broody one sitting on her clutch in the same place or have you got her somewhere else?
alison
Learner Laner

broody chickens

Post by alison »

Hi, 1 chicken is sitting on fertile eggs, that are already hatching!! as I speak... the other chicken that has gone broody is just sitting on nothing, I remove all eggs as soon as they are layed, so wether she has gone broody in sympathy with the other one ,I don't know. The chicken on the eggs is in the hen house that the other 4 use at night, I haven't got anywhere else to put her. I have just been down to have a look and I can hear cheeping noises so it won't be long. By the way the eggs are Auricanas, I hadn't heard of these before, until I looked it up on the 'net, is it easy to s.ex them? I will keep you all posted on how many hatch out...watch this space......
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Wow, how exciting.
Will you be able to separate the chicks + mum.
I think I read that it's not a good idea to have them in with older ones.
Does anyone else know?
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

broody chickens

Post by AnnaB »

Yes Mo, its a good idea to separate them as the mother hen will want to protect her young against the big ones - we all know that the girls can be little horrors at times.
Alison, is there any way you can get a wooden box and make a small run from something till the chicks are big enough to defend themselves?
alison
Learner Laner

broody hens

Post by alison »

Hi all I have 3 chicks!! the other 3 eggs are showing no signs of hatching, so I think 3 is it. I have moved mum and babies into my wash house away from the others and she is quite happy with this arrangement. The chicks are lovely and are eating chick crumbs already. I will let you know if the other 3 hatch.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

broody chickens

Post by AnnaB »

Congratulations alison !
All you have to do now is 'gender them' Have to avoid certain words on here otherwise there are funny posts....glad you were able to separate them.
Best wishes Anna
wendy

Post by wendy »

awwww how lovely.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
alison
Learner Laner

chicks

Post by alison »

hi all, i have only 3 chicks hatched the oter 3 eggs didnt have anything in them. We have had the chicks and mum out on the lawn today and they integrated ok, but i am a little wary of putting them in all together at night.My hubby seems to think that they will be ok...but i'm not so sure. How old do they need to be before they can go with the others? or is it a case of big enough? How soon can you tell wether they are lady or gentlemen chickens? to be polite. (f+ wish i knew more bout chickens.