when can I let them out

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ricktkenny
Learner Laner

when can I let them out

Post by ricktkenny »

Finally took the plunge and purchased 5 chickens.

Looked at the eglu and thought that the price was crazy for a small coup so decided to build my own, I was in B&Q when I saw a pastic flat pack wendy house for 60 pounds. Job done , built a base with legs and floor with cut out for a slide in night dropings tray. Built a nest box on one of the windows and then bolted a piece of ply where the entrance was and cut a pop hole. Looks brill and is very roomy.

Chickens seem happy and come in and roost no problem. I reckon its big enough for at least 15 chickens. Total cost about 100 quid.

So my question is, when can I let them in the garden and do I let them all out at once.

Will they run off and jump over fences etc

wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I would keep them in the run for a day or so.Once you know they will go back when it gets dark then you are a way, I would say.
I have also bought a plastic wheelie bin container from Costco. Cost £89.00 and will hold quite a few hens. Very easy to clean and.....hopefully.... no dreaded red mite. Feels good when you get a bargain doesn't it?
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
melons
Legendary Laner

hens out.

Post by melons »

I left mine for 5 days, then I was ready to spilt with excitement about letting them out, if you feed them by hand & always make the same noise when you call them, they'll soon come running every time they hear that noise, so if it goes pear shaped & they clear off next door like one of mine did, call them, & they'll come back, anything for spagetti :-D
If your worried, let them out nearer bed time, they wont go far.

Well done on the hen house front, you put me to total shame, I had thought about a kids plastic wendy house, but needed one quickly, so brought one :oops: Enjoy them they'll be great fun.

mel
Cheers
mel x
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

when can I let them out

Post by AnnaB »

Hi ricktkenny, they should be let out at dusk if you are free ranging them - they will not venture far as their eyesight does not appear good at night and they will want to get back to the safety of their home - bit like us really!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi and welcome,

That's a good idea with the Wendy House.

Mine have always settled in pretty quickly and like most species, food and bed are high priority if they're a bit slow on the up-take.

As long as they can't venture off down the road, a few days should be ample time.

If you can't find one, sheds, inside the house and occasionally up trees are a favourite!

Have a great time with them.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Post by Phil Black Rock »

Hi
Must admit as a new chook keeper I too was worried about letting them out. All the advice you have been given is spot on, keep them in for a few days so they know where food, drink and bed is, and they should be ok. Be aware they do like to explore, especially when they have become acclimatised to their surroundings. My Black Rocks do anyway, they love to have a wander round, next doors garden is a favourite spot.

Phil

)chu:
ricktkenny
Learner Laner

well I let them all out

Post by ricktkenny »

Took the plunge and let all five out, Scar face ( so called becuase she was attacked by a stoat) seems to be the leader. She is first out and when she goes in they all do. They soon get round the garden and are really nosey. The cats think it's funny to sneak up on them but run off when they turn around.

They all go in eventually, but they take thier time about it.

I reckon antther month and they should lay, Hopefully!!!

Rick
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Great to hear of them coming along fine.

I hope Scar Face gets over it - same as any other creatures aren't they - even kids!!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome