Ants & Double Yolkers

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
sunny
Lively Laner

Ants & Double Yolkers

Post by sunny »

I seem to have a problem with ants, they were hiding underneath the feeder. Do chickens eat them? I think I will have to raise it above ground and if so, will that stop the ants?

Also, I have several different breeds (Black Sussex, Coral, BlackTail, and Culvree? ) I've had several double yolk eggs recently and wondered if that was peculiar to specific breeds or all lay double yolkers. Also wondered why - is it a biological thing or do they tend to lay double yolkers under certain circumstances? They are delicious.

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Ants & Double Yolkers

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Sunny
Can help with the ants - know nothing about double yolks.
Diatomaceous Earth will get rid of them and it appears is not harmful to the girls (Omelet website)
Peppermint essential oil in a base oil is also a good deterrent, I would use this in the house but I don't know how the smell would affect the girls as we have to be careful about what they breathe in.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

i was told chickens lay doubleyokers when they start laying(not every egg just now and then)as it takes a while to set the steady flow of yokes down the tubes after a while you will only get the very odd one here and there as they regulate themselfs
i have almost stopped getting them now and mine have been laying for about 6-8 weeks
its a good game to say to somone bet thats a double(they are normaly quite a bit bigger)or if you are giving them away give them a box full of doubles and tell them how lucky they are when they say the have had a double !
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln