Chicken Manure - use on garden?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Chicken Manure - use on garden?

Post by OldForum »

Amanda
Hi there,

Can anybody advise please about what you have to do to chicken manure to be able to use it on your garden as a fertiliser? I know you can buy chicken manure for this purpose but assume that it needs 'processing' in some way. Any advice gratefully received.

Regards
Amanda

skewbaldpony
It needs diluting - and I mean a LOT!
Chicken manure is very strong and can burn leafy growth - in fact it can kill your plants.
The best thing to do is put some in a sack or other cloth bag, immerse that in a butt of water, and use the water.

Also, it's a great 'starter' for your compost heap, mixed in with green and brown ingredients, it will get it going like nobody's business

Whatever you do, don't apply it direct.

johng
I have used it in my Tomato greenhouse, used about 4 25ltr tubs neat, mixed well in, sprinkled with sulphate of Potash. Never had a problem with the Tomatoes.

Richard
Same here with the tomatoes. We put it in the greenhouse and they thrive on it.

I'm still uncertain about the chicken compost I put on the main patch last year when only about half the seeds came up - didn't affect the onions though.

As stated, dilute it well, very well. If it's too rich, the seeds will shoot up in a coupole of days, get to a good height then die off.

Something I haven't done, but will, is to look at the 'contents' on the back of the stuff they sell in Garden Centres.