Broody Brahma

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Broody Brahma

Post by boosmummy »

If you've seen fb, you've seen the broody brahma saga. If not, then here's a run down of my last few days.

I got to the allotment on tuesday to find penny (legbar/sussex) and martha (brahma) totally at each other! I took penny out because a, she was bleeding and b, i thought she was the culprit. and i took her home for the night and as i was sat there i started putting two and two together. Martha has been sat in the hen house a lot, shes been attacking me when ive been trying to get the eggs, the others havent been laying because shes going for them, her a poppy hen have been squaring up to each other and babs battery hen has a pecked head. Martha is the problem.

I took penny back and straight away it started again! by process of elimination i figured out it was definitely martha. So now she is at home with me in the rabbit run and just sitting. thankfully shes getting up for a bit of food and more importantly in this heat water. So today after some umming and ahhing and the fact that ill be adding another 36sq foot onto the existing chicken run. Ive bought 6 hatching eggs, that she is currently sitting on. 3 dark brahmas, 2 gold brhamas and a welsummer.

It wouldnt be the worst thing i the world if i got a cockerel because he could keep the girls under control but really i only want 3 more hens, so i told the guy this and he said he'd happily take any back that i dont want. And to be honest after seeing the gorgeous welsummer cockerel im hoping that egg is one!!! (now on my repeat in my head: dont get excited, dont get excited)!!

There are pictures in my blog below (and a link to the dtl website xx)
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!