Can you stop water freezing?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Can you stop water freezing?

Post by Kuikentje »

A bit early to be asking but it was prompted by one of the replies to sunnyskies' questions.

It will freeze in a trice in the traditional drinker such as I'm using, what has everybody else found useful?
Life's too short to quarrel

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Can you stop water freezing?

Post by kitla »

You'll find lots of discussions about this on here! I think a lot of people find just
changing the water several times a day is usually enough, but there are days when
it just freezes up so fast! I've invested in a couple of those microwave heat pads,
I heat them for 4 or 5 mins & put them under the waterer, that lasts for a few hours
on those extreme days.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Changing the water several times a day isn't an option for those of us who work full-time, I'm afraid. The microwave thing would probably help a bit, for a while, that's interesting. If they are deprived of water for a few hours, do they drink to make up for it when they do get some water?
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I think there are electric heaters of some sort if you're set up for that. someone
uses candles in a metal tin but that would worry me if I wasn't home. Actually
I was thinking about this myself the other day & wondering if there was any way
of tapping into the heat from a compost heap - via a pipe or something, probably
not or it would already have been done.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

If you can get electricity up to the coop area you could try a heated dog bowl either for them to drink from direct or devise a way to set a drinker on it so that the heat would keep it ice free.
Something like this
Dom
Ali Woks My World
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

What about glycerine? Is it poisonous?
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Totally Scrambled wrote:If you can get electricity up to the coop area you could try a heated dog bowl either for them to drink from direct or devise a way to set a drinker on it so that the heat would keep it ice free.
Something like this
Dom

Really? What will they think of next!
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

We leave 2 or 3 water things in different places. We have the winter sun spots well mapped out :-D

They may well go without for a few hours but as there is still grass and that will be wet/ice covered, or even snow, they seem to do fine.

We usually bring the water in overnight to defrost and put out a tub of water when we get in. They haven't left home yet!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Hintza
Lively Laner

Post by Hintza »

We have a small ceramic animal trough about 6 inches deep and 18"x12" in size. As long as I break the ice in the morning the girls will keep a hole open through the day.

Anything with thin sides is going to cause a problem, so an old feed trough or ceramic sink with a bit of mass to it will make life easier.

Remember hot water freezes faster than cold water.
3 Speckeldy, 2 Speckeldy boys, 2 Speckeldy Offspring girls, 6 White Stars, 1 Cream Legbar. 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans (The Delinquent:- BOY!!), 1 Barnevelder, 6 Hyline, 2 Minorca.
Kernow

Post by Kernow »

Hintza wrote:Remember hot water freezes faster than cold water.
???

Can't possibly happen
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Kernow wrote:
???

Can't possibly happen

I think it's something to do with the distance apart the molecules are - when things get hot, they expand, in other words the molecules spread out a bit. Each individual molecule will then cool down a bit faster than if they were all huddled together like penguins in the Antarctic. So if you heat the water up, increasing the spaces between the molecules, then it is perfectly logical that it will lose heat more quickly.

I don't know if it makes a significant difference in the quantities I'm talking about though. I never thought of the thickness of the container - that makes sense but we are 800 feet up here so it's a degree or two colder than further down.

What a pity to have to be thinking about this already!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

One of the few things I remember from Physics I think it was - yes, hot water does freeze quicker.

Can't remember why though !!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Hintza
Lively Laner

Post by Hintza »

Kernow wrote:
???

Can't possibly happen

The Mpemba Effect
3 Speckeldy, 2 Speckeldy boys, 2 Speckeldy Offspring girls, 6 White Stars, 1 Cream Legbar. 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans (The Delinquent:- BOY!!), 1 Barnevelder, 6 Hyline, 2 Minorca.
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Hintza wrote:

The Mpemba Effect

I looked that up. Heck, it's complicated. And still no final scientific explanation!
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

If I remember from the last couple of years ,the bigger and thicker the container the longer it takes to freeze (but not to big they could fall in it )
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown