Worming questions

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
fur and feathers
Lively Laner

Worming questions

Post by fur and feathers »

Hi everyone!

I have a chicken who sounds as if she's coughing? I asked the lady who runs the local agricultural feed and supply store and she said it was probably worms and gave me some Ivermectin to put on all the hens. (2 drops on the skin on their shoulders)

Does this sound like the right advice? And how long after the treatment will the "coughing" stop?

She doesn't look at all sick. She is still eating and drinking and doing all the normal chicken things. I've never had a worm problem before so not really sure what I need to do :?

Sheila D
Longlasting Laner

Re: Worming questions

Post by Sheila D »

You should be using Flubenvet powder twice a year in their food. The instructions are on the pack. This kills worms. I wonder if she has gapeworm as this sits in the throat and irritates them a lot. Using Diatom powder sprinkled liberally in their bedding will deter worms and mites, as it breaks down the skin on the wee beasties and they dehydrate the bugs without harming the hens.
Sheila
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I'm not sure about Ivermectin for worms... I know people use it for mites and lice but not heard of worms before.

Flubenvet is a great wormer, as Sheila said, use at least twice per year (I worm them every three months), no egg withdrawal and will treat all worms including gapeworm.

If she has gapeworm, you may be able to see them if you look down her throat... tiny little red worms wriggling around. But a cough can be a sign of respiratory problems too so if the worms are not obvious I would take her to a vet to get checked over )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I now use layers pellet with flub already in. I usually go and get them from Newlands Poultry but only if I fancy a day out as it is a good long drive, just ran out in middle of worming so I have ordered them from Farm and Pet Place, very reasonable. Both the sellers and the vet recommend worming 4 times a year
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

sandy wrote:. Both the sellers and the vet recommend worming 4 times a year

They would do Sandy as it's their profit! :-D
I think twice a year is sufficient to keep them worm free.
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

That may be true but vet dosent sell flubernet, infact sells nothing to do with hens
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Sheila D
Longlasting Laner

Post by Sheila D »

You get it off the net - I think lyte so Fancy may do it. A tube lasts a long time if you only have a few hens.
Sheila