Hens about to lay, any signs?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
mariat
Lively Laner

Hens about to lay, any signs?

Post by mariat »

Can anyone please tell me, do hens go a bit off colour just before they are about to start laying? One of my Point-of-Lay's was a bit down this morning, not wanting to come out of the coop, standing hunched up etc., but by this afternoon, she was looking much perkier and eating again. So, I'm wondering if she is coming into lay and that was the problem.

fishpond
Legendary Laner

Re: Hens about to lay, any signs?

Post by fishpond »

Could be.
You should know by Xmas :-D
Sorry, I have found that it is virtually impossible to predict what a chicken will do.
Main problem seems to be that they do not read very well. +f+
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

mariat wrote:Can anyone please tell me, do hens go a bit off colour just before they are about to start laying? One of my Point-of-Lay's was a bit down this morning, not wanting to come out of the coop, standing hunched up etc., but by this afternoon, she was looking much perkier and eating again. So, I'm wondering if she is coming into lay and that was the problem.

It sounds like a small blip in the egg laying system, have you checked for the possible remains of an eaten softy?
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

I clean out the poop from the coop (ooh that rhymes!) every day, and there was nothing unusual around. Also didn't see anything like that in the run.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

How old are your girls? And the best sign is that when you put your hand on their backs they will Squat and let you stroke them .
I am not sure why yours was having a problem but keep an eye on her.
I m sure a more learned person will be along with help
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Not uncommon for a young hen coming into lay, to get a softie now and again, this will make them a bit quiet and lethargic, and as mentioned by fishpond, if she had passed a softie, probably got eaten!...
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Nothing much to add except this:

If a hen lays a softie, sometimes you have to look really hard for evidence because she or the other hens will eat it. My old girls laid softies, the surviving one still does occasionally, and all that I find is some yellowish, wetish slivers of straw.

It's very likely that your youngster was practising, I think. I'm not very experienced and most of my hens have been pretty mature when I've got them but I do remember some false alarms when we were sure we were going to get an egg and didn't.

Exciting, isn't it?
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

If
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

If your girl is young and is not ready to lay, her comb will be smallish and pale. It should be a reasonable size And red. Yes you CAN put your hand over their back to see if they crouch in submission. Mine just squawk and run. Lol
What colour are her legs? I believe their legs are white if they're in lay and yellow if not, (or the other way round).
Yes they sometimes lay softies when they are young and the others just eat them. They sometimes lay softies when they are old too.
Just keep an eye her. {hug}
Lorna {hug}
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.