What's wrong with Roxy?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
greenigloo
Lively Laner

What's wrong with Roxy?

Post by greenigloo »

Can anyone help? Roxy is acting almost as if she has had a stroke. She was finding it difficult to stand so we have brought her inside (along with Sophie with the extended belly) to see if things improve. We wondered if she had worms as there were some long threads in her poo, but all the other girls seem OK. We have wormed them but she is still stumbling around although she is eating a little food. Any ideas?

Jeannette

Sheila D
Longlasting Laner

Re: What's wrong with Roxy?

Post by Sheila D »

Is there any sign of an ear infection or injury around the head area. Is there an avian vet near you? For your other hen with the extended belly, the fluid can be drawn off by a vet and tested for infection. Antibiotics could be an option together with anti-inflammatories, usually administered with a little plastic syringe. I wonder if both hens have the same problem???
Sheila
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I think both need a trip to the vets asap. Fluid on the belly can be a symptom of an underlying infection and Sophie may need the fluid draining, and antibiotics for the infection. And a proper diagnosis for Roxy too, as there are several things that could be causing her problems. Best get them both seen to and on proper medication.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I agree - I think a trip to your local vets would be a good idea.

Is your chook with extended belly laying (sorry to ask I haven't seen any other threads yet about her), if not could be EYP or waterbelly (ascites). Which I would say definitely need seeing by a vet.

Your other hen doesn't sound good, if she is stumbling around she's obviously not coping well. Has she lost weight, what did you worm your hens with, is her keel (breast) bone sticking out? Does her droppings smell funny?

Sooner or later we all have to pay a visit to the vets with our birds, if you aren't sure if your local vets are used to seeing poultry give them a call or check out the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons website to do a search on their Find A Vet section. An advanced search will help you find a poultry vet in your area.

Good luck - hope everything is OK )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
greenigloo
Lively Laner

Post by greenigloo »

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately Sophie didn't make it, but Roxy is getting stronger day by day, so still not sure what it was - maybe a stroke. We have been feeding her separately and she is walking about happily, a little unsteady but so much stronger than before.
We wormed them with Flubenvet and thanks for the advice on where to search for an avian vet as our Polish vet who was great with the chooks has left our vet's practice.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So sorry you have lost Sophie {hug} Lets hope Roxy gets better and better >fi<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
greenigloo
Lively Laner

Post by greenigloo »

Thought I'd update the forum on Roxy. Roxy has almost recovered and is getting stronger day by day. Megan, one of our Bluebells, also had the same sort of symptoms and the vet thought it was a viral infection and gave her some antibiotics, but didn't hold out much hope. However, with lots of TLC both Roxy and Megan are doing really well and are now starting to integrate with the rest of the flock.

It's good to know that sometimes TLC really does work!!!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So glad Roxy and Megan are better )t' I bet you are sol relieved
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

greenigloo
Lively Laner

Post by greenigloo »

I am Sandy. Only sad note is that we now have to find another forever home for the girls as our clay soil makes it an awful condition for them to live in, despite moving the run several times and latterly to the driest part of the garden which is now a quagmire! Can't bear to see them go but can't bear to see them living like this {cry}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am sorry to hear that, would putting down lots of wood chip help at all?

greenigloo
Lively Laner

Post by greenigloo »

We have tried bark chippings, sand, ballast but nothing seems to stop the rain from churning up the mud into a smelly quagmire - so awful to see the girls paddling through it. Doesn't bother the ducks though!!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It seems such a pity to have to let them go. have you had a look at Sandy's pics, her run gets very muddy but she's got pallets and allsorts in there to give them some relief from the mud. Have you tried building them a raised platform out of the mud?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
greenigloo
Lively Laner

Post by greenigloo »

Hi Karen

We have tried so hard to make the run better for the girls. We have a raised feeding platform and have put down pallets, but nothing seems to make it a good place for them.

We have now found another home for the girls which is not far away so will be able to visit. I am so sad to lose them but I know they will be happy which is all we want for them.
greenigloo
Lively Laner

Post by greenigloo »

Little Roxy went up to chicken heaven this morning. So sad {cry} as she was doing so well after her stroke.

We miss you so much little girl xxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So sorry about Roxy {hug} Glad your others have found a good home though x