Runny Brown Poo

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Runny Brown Poo

Post by OldForum »

Amanda
Any help gratefully received. Brand new chicken owners, three new chickens only arrived 4 days ago. The light sussex is only about 3 months old and there is something wrong with her poo, have photos and description at:
http://backgardenchickens.blogspot.com/
if anybody has the time to check it out and offer advice please?

Richard
I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound bad.

My chickens have alsorts of variations on a theme. Sometimes runny (usually a horrible squelchy sound beforehand) and sometimes quite firm, large, round - sometimes completely white.

I guess it's something she's eating.

Have you an up-date ? Hope all's well.

Richard

PS - I like your site, super pictures and well composed.

Amanda
Thank you Richard. I think she is OK, it's hard to tell as we have had her (or indeed any chickens!) for such a short time. She's eating well mind you and she seems to like being on the run perch which is about 3 foot off the ground. She was having a good old peck around the garden yesterday. I have been in close contact with the breeder as he had another light sussex from the same pen that was ill. I heard today that his chicken had died which is very sad.

Am updating website/blog regularly, thank you for kind comments.

Mikeyhgc
I'm pretty sure it's nothing to worry about, there are alot of reasons why she has runny poo!..the most likely is from the stress of moving to a new home and maybe a change in feed

Hells Bells
Learner Laner

Brown Runny Poo

Post by Hells Bells »

Hi Amanda

I have just acquired 4 chickens, 2 of which are Light Sussex and a couple of them also have had runny poo - infact they still do! I was told that this could be the trauma of moving to a new home or a change of diet. They are eating well, so I don't really know what is causing this, but I am keeping an eye on things!

Can I also ask you if your Light Sussex are laying eggs yet? I think mine are about 21 or 22 weeks old, but after having them for 2 weeks, they have laid nothing! I have since discovered that as they are Pure Bred hens, they will not be as good at laying as the hybrid birds. But the reason why I got them, was that I read thay they were infact excellent layers!

Thanks

Helen