Chicken Insurance

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Chicken Insurance

Post by HappyBob »

This morning I visted my allotment were I keep my chickens, to be greeted by a notice ?(all the tennants that own chickens on the site also were greeted by the same notice) pinned to my gate stating I have "Illegal Livestock" from the council and that they should "BE REMOVED IMMEDIATLEY" in bold letters or that my tennancy will be terminated.

Apparantly its illegal as I have not asked for permission, although chickens (not mine) have been on the site for two year now. After contacting the councill allotment officer who I know fairly well and she was the one who personally issued mine.

I was informed that I now need 3rd party public insurance against my chickens causing an accident/damage etc which i think is fair enough as a few of the plot holders are a little careless regards the security of their hens, and are seen walking around the site getting up to mischeif.

Also a brief letter staing how many hens I have and a photo or two showing their housing, also what preparations I have made regards watering them when the site turns the main water off at the end of this month

Has anyone else had to obtain 3rd party insurance and if si could please point me to an insurance company were I could obtain insurance for my hens. Thankyou for reading. )t'
Dont ever grow up, its a trap

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Re: Chicken Insurance

Post by aishakali »

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl} twits!
LYN
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

aishakali wrote:{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl} twits!

{rofwl} You couldnt make it up could you ? I think they mean public liability insurance
as if a chicken could rear end a cabbage or cauli :-D
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

Hey, I dont know, didnt someone on here - Chookmike? - recently post that he nearly lost his fingers to viscious mealworm-stealing hens?!?!? )j; What next!!
iamDenise
Lively Laner

Post by iamDenise »

Oh dear. Bureauocoracy gone mad. (or some similar spelling)
I hope it sorts itself out and you can keep your chucks.
I'd complain about the growing of sprouts and how antisocial it can be.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Te council never wanted hens on the site but because of the 1959 allotment act they are powerless to stop us, I think they are now just trying to put as mant barriers in our way to grind us down, but it will have the opposite effect on me and make me more resolute, thats the way I roll )t'
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I have thought if I should comment on this post or not as I did not want to put the cat among the pidgeons so to speak.
We have 2 allotments in the countryside surrounded by fields and up till now we have not been allowed chickens.There are foxes ,badgers etc and 2 legged people that walk down the footpath outside .In our new tenancy agreement chickens are going to be allowed but most of us think it is not a good idea.
I am sure that Bob cares ,protects and looks after his chickens really well but there are two people up our plots that are keen and they can't really look after allotments let alone chickens. As you know that chickens need a lot of space especially when they can't FR which I reckon if you had 3 would take up half your plot .I can see the 2 that are interested not spending a lot of time securing their run and although chicken wire is fine for keeping chickens in ,not good for keeping other creatures 2 and 4 legged out .
I think the idea of having to submit a plan is a good one and they would have to be inspected regularly ...Our council won't even allow overgrown grass between our plots or sheds (we have one large shed for all of us to keep tools etc.,)so not sure how long chickens would last !
Insurance is also good as we have enough problems with crops being eaten by deer ,rabbits and pidgeons let alone chickens although I have often considered renting my chickens out on a lead that I have at home to clear the weeds {rofwl}
If there were chickens that were being neglected I would want to take them home as chickens of fate .. now there is an idea I want more but that is the only way I will get them at the moment .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

After being in touch with the council allotment officer she informed me that one of the problems was that a few allotment holders (not me) had recently started keeping cockerels which were begining to cause a noise nuisance to the neighbouring houses and this was the main reason for permission/insurance having to be sought.

I have been assured that permission will be granted on the provision of insurance and plans etc. I was also informed that a few of the oversea lads who dont speak very good English had also being in touch with the council and that they will speak with me, with whom I have good relationships with and trust, regards their cockerels and to help them with the insurance , and gaining permission etc.

The cockerels have now all gone so hopefully this will show the council that we are taking their concerns seriously, and hopefully calm will be restored on both the chicken owners and the council. :-D
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

That is good news! I am sure that all it needs is a bit of chat with the council and a few common sense rules...Cockerels I can understand as I am not even allowed cockerels where we live on our estate and we live in the countryside ..
I am hoping that our council will go along the guide lines of yours ,even though we have chickens at home the thought of neglected chickens at our allotments roaming around or killed by the many foxes , badgers around us fills me with the horrors.
As you know you ,you probably have enough space for your chickens and they are well looked after but there is always one that can't look after themselves let alone chickens .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hope it works out well, Bob. When we pass the allotments outside Market Weighton, on the 1079, I think it is, there are several chicken runs there. I wonder if these tenants have insurance - just a thought.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Spreckly wrote:Hope it works out well, Bob. When we pass the allotments outside Market Weighton, on the 1079, I think it is, there are several chicken runs there. I wonder if these tenants have insurance - just a thought.

I very much doubt it Spreckly, I have been trying to track down any Insurance company that provide PLI for chicken owners and have been unsuccesfull. When I make an enquiry regards ins, some companies think I,m taking the Micheal :-D.

The allotment officer rung me today and after I assured her that after a chat with the cockerel lads that the cockerel problem has been sorted, she was very pleased and thanked me for talking to them. She is coming down to see me tomorow, to discuss the format that we will use for permission, forms, plans etc.

After a very positive phone conversation I think it may even be possible that the insurance part of gaining permission may be very much watered down as long as some of the chicken owners who were causing complaints from neighbouring houses keep themselves off the radar so to speak.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

>dum< Honestly, this is bureaucracy gone mad! Chicken insurance? Hahahaha, can you imagine the claim form?

'On the 30th October 2013, a premeditated attack on my allotment took by two chickens - one brown, one speckledy, matching the description of those owned by the notorious chicken keeper, Happy Bob. 4 carrots, 17 parsley plants and a pumpkin were damaged with a total value of £34,027.49. Please send cheque asap.'

{rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It might make more sense for the council to ask for a damage deposit from would-be hen keepers. But it's really good-neighbourliness. If you or yours cause damage to another plot you offer redress.

We ocassionally get cows through our garden - do you think I have a claim?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

p.penn wrote:>dum< Honestly, this is bureaucracy gone mad! Chicken insurance? Hahahaha, can you imagine the claim form?

'On the 30th October 2013, a premeditated attack on my allotment took by two chickens - one brown, one speckledy, matching the description of those owned by the notorious chicken keeper, Happy Bob. 4 carrots, 17 parsley plants and a pumpkin were damaged with a total value of £34,027.49. Please send cheque asap.'

{rofwl}

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

HappyBob wrote:I have been trying to track down any Insurance company that provide PLI for chicken owners and have been unsuccesfull. When I make an enquiry regards ins, some companies think I,m taking the Micheal :-D.

{rofwl} {rofwl}

Mo wrote:We ocassionally get cows through our garden - do you think I have a claim?

{rofwl} {rofwl}