electric fencing

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
melons
Legendary Laner

electric fencing

Post by melons »

Does anyone use electric fencing for their girls, we've already decided that we want more room for them, as they love being in the garden sooo much, but i daren't leave them to the fox, not that I've seen one.
All supplyers only seem to do it in 25m rolls, we only want 16m of it, it is really expensive, so.....is it worth the money, i.e does it work, does anyone have any experience of it, or made one??

We are faffing about wondering whether to do that, or do a bigger outer run for them to run about in while I'm not here, we're off this week & I've got time to do a project.
We're thinking 6' chain link fence, is that sufficient in height?
Cheers
mel x

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I bought a roll, but the battery, ground spike and thing that goes between the battery and the fence were the really expensive part. And the hens didn't notice if it was turned on or off, if they wanted to get out they got out anyway. So I don't electrify it. (My daughter's 'borrowed' all those bits for her horses)
You have to make sure you get it tight and straight, with guys at the corners, otherwise it sags. and 4' is low enough for a hen to jump anyway, if determined. Also you have to find and mend any holes, a single break so that the mesh is twice as big and if one finds it they remember where it is, and get out every day, with their mates following.
One of mine is having a phase of getting out, I watched her standing looking at the fence, then a big jump from a standing start, and over at the lowest part.

It does keep them in most of the time though. And I can move it around so they get fresh grass.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

electric fencing

Post by AnnaB »

Hi melons
Google 'sheep hurdles' and just imagine the outside frame 3x3ft square. Cover one side with wire mesh, put metal angles on the corners for rigidity and link together (cable ties are ideal) I have 10 of these home made. I can move them around the garden to where I want the girls to be including the vegetable plots when they are empty! If they jump out you can put an old sheet over it. This is not fox proof but it does contain them as long as you are around.
Hope this helps.
Anna
melons
Legendary Laner

safety for the girls

Post by melons »

Cheers everyone for your help, I already have about 25 metres of plastic coated netting which is a metre high, & another 25m long bit which is 1/2 a metre high, this one I put against the hedge, they never jump either of them, but then I have clipped all their wings ( only one side :!: ), except one of girls who hasn't really got a clue.
So I do already move them round the garden in their netting if I'm at home, but not actually there in the garden, then free range if I'm literally with them. Their run is ok, but I really want something bigger that I can let them out in safely while I'm out all day.
I think I may go down the chain link route, then bury it in the grass, or do a skirt of mesh.
I'm just trying to get myself sorted now while it's day light & the nights are longer, in preparation for the winter when they wouldn't be able to come out at all in the week, only weekends.

Tell it's been a rubbish summer can't you, we've spent the day re-guttering the house in preparation for the winter & these god awful summer downpours, our house is built below the lie of the land, we don't actually flood as others do, but if we're not careful, the back door floods with water when the drain by it can't cope.
Cheers
mel x