Got rid of red mite, welcome Northern Fowl Mite!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Got rid of red mite, welcome Northern Fowl Mite!

Post by HazellB »

Dropped a broody Aruacana off with her breeder last Thursday and by Saturday lunch she'd called me to say my little girl was 'dying', cause unknown.

When I got there, Beakie the Ara was a sorry thing. Eyes scabby and raw, floppy body and red hot. The breeder knows her stuff and between us we got Beakie eating and drinking, then just treated her with everything appropriate to each single symptom. Eventually we found one single Northern Fowl Mite on one feather from her headgear. Then we found many more. No idea how we'd missed them on first and second check, so that's a lesson learned.

So, I've managed to squash red mite in my place, and have now got a more serious and tough enemy to sort out. Mite 2.0 if you like. }hairout{

Frontline dog spray (£50 ish for 500ml), pyrethrum-based cat/pet bird sprays in the house (again not hen licensed), DE and a bath in medicated dog shampoo for all concern appears to be the recommended way to treat the problem.

All good fun, isn't it? >ch<
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)