Feeding hens with crushed shell

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
PK
Lively Laner

Feeding hens with crushed shell

Post by PK »

I save used egg shells and grind them into small fragments and feed them back to the hens. Does anyone else do this as an alternative to buying in oyster shell to supplement their feeding? Imake sure the egg shell is well crushed and unrecognisable so that the hens done think it is a good idea to start pecking at newly laid eggs.

morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Don't worry it's absolutely fine.
I also give grit and oyster shell though, but I suppose it's personal preference. I presume it depends on how much they're free-ranging
Small steps lead to big changes
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Re: Feeding hens with crushed shell

Post by Phil Black Rock »

PK wrote:I save used egg shells and grind them into small fragments and feed them back to the hens. Does anyone else do this as an alternative to buying in oyster shell to supplement their feeding? Imake sure the egg shell is well crushed and unrecognisable so that the hens done think it is a good idea to start pecking at newly laid eggs.

PK

I too feed my chooks on egg shells, but give them a good hard roasting in the oven before I crush them up. I think it is supposed to sterilise the shell.

Phil

)chu:
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I have no problems with it here. Just, as above, roast them til they're crispy brown and grind them up.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I also give roasted crushed shell, and sometimes oyster if I think they need it (e.g. I've been selling a lot of the eggs). My daughter used to save her egg shells for me, but they went musty in her box, so I stopped thaat.