Vaccinations for Chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
manda

Re: Vaccinations for Chickens

Post by manda »

Milly wrote:Is it important to buy vaccinated hens then or do people not usually )ot: >shrug<

Sorry for all the questions, it must be the nurse in me that made me look into it.

In principle hens kept free range in small numbers in backyards usually avoid many of the dangers that are faced every day by hens raised under intensive conditions on large commercial poultry farms.
Maintaining the health of small numbers also needs people to use the basic principles that make up the disease control programs of the intensive farming system so....isolation, quarantine - that's where backyard chicken keepers tend to stop where intensive farms go on with .....single aged farms (so battery farms clear out the sheds and restock with hens of the same age) and comprehensive disinfection and vaccination programs.

Backyard keepers can disinfect from time to time but it's rarely as part of a "program" if you know what I mean...it's a bit more ad hoc. I think most backyard keepers, whilst they buy hens that have been vaccinated (and they may not know if they are or not), don't have a vaccination program so after a year or so those hens are technically unprotected anyway....and given (as Dom said) that vaccines generally come in large dose numbers
they don't normally follow through.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny

Cate
Learner Laner

Post by Cate »

HenPen has published a very good list of vaccines Thanks!
.. still they look sooo many to me..

Are they all required/recommended? When I buy my girls, shall I make sure they have all the vaccines in the list? If not, then, what are the required vaccines?

Moreover, is out there a salmonella vaccine? I was always told not to eat raw eggs because of the salmonella risk... Is there anything you can recommend to reduce the risks of salmonella and at the same time tasting a good tiramisù? +f+
thanks
cate
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Hi Cate

I petsonally would not worry about vaccinations as long as you get them from a reputable breeder where it looks clean etc. i eat runny yolk eggs and tiramasu and havent had any problems (touch wood). I think problems like Salmonella on a small scale like ours are hopefully very unlikely if we maintain good clean conditions
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Hi again,

On that list I reproduced Salmonella is given twice during the vaccination programme. So those who carry out a similar programme probably do give this.

When I went to see my vet the other day with my poorly chooks, we were chatting about chicken keeping (he has a small flock) and he said the chickenvet.co.uk website was very good. I found this, which you might find interesting:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and- ... index.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cate
Learner Laner

Post by Cate »

HenPen
that is a great site!!! thanks a lot!
Cate
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

They are very good, I had the pleasure of meeting them at The Edible Garden Show the other week, they had a Stand there.

Some very good pages on Chicken Health.

Goos to see they have the links to Avian Vets, only problem there is the Vets have to pay for listing so this obviously misses quite a lot.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome