Chicken Advice

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Chicken Advice

Post by OldForum »

MrsPepperpot
I have had my 4 chickens for 12months now. They have laid constantly and up to now I have had no problems.
One of my chickens the other day looked a bit under the weather, she wasnt pecking around like the others and she sat with her back end hunched slightly. I took her inside and had a good look at her but I couldnt see
anything unusual. I put her back in with the others and since then she seems to be back to her old self (perhaps
she just wanted a cuddle )She also didnt lay the day after but I cant feel any egg.
What I would like to know is should I be worming or giving any other kind of preventitive medication. Also I have never dusted for mites can anyone recommend a product to use.

[b]Wendy[/b]
I haven't had my girls as long as you have. But I suspected they had worms. Mike on the Forum gave me the addresses of a couple of companies. I got an organic Verm-x from www.wormers-direct.co.uk He said you should worm at least twice a year.
I also got some red mite powder from the same company, as a just in case. I have painted their little house on Sunday in hopes of keeping the creepy crawlies away.
I can't help with your poorly hen. But I am glad that she is feeling better