Getting worried ~ Manda

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Getting worried ~ Manda

Post by HenPen »

I wrote yesterday about an outbreak of diahorrea among the girls and thanks to Perchy I thought I might have got to the bottom of it but I don't think so.
Amber is looking poorly, tail down, moving with exaggerated care. I brought her in for a belly bath and afterwards she very kindly did this, which is not what I am used to at all and doesn't resemble much on the Poop Chart - except maybe the drinking too much water one. (Sorry, don't look before eating)
Which she added to, and I think that is all that's in her stomach
Amber is lethargic, not eating except a couple of grapes, and has actually been ignoring the half a grape which is currently in front of her and won't touch the bran I have been trying to give her as a protein boost, in fact her crop is empty despite it being evening.
No eggs today at all from anyone, which is unusual.

I mentioned before about the feather pulling (Amber plucking Ginger's feathers) - not nastily, more speculatively. Both these girls have been leaving feathers around for over a month.

Today there were Wiggy's feathers everywhere too. Yesterday I noticed her chest looked odd but today there was a large bald patch on her neck/chest. Do chickens moult in clumps from one spot or is this an escalation of the feather pulling do you think? I am thinking of putting some antipeck on her just in case.

Sorry, this seems like two problems but I wanted to get all the things on one page in case they were connected.

perchy

Re: Getting worried

Post by perchy »

Hi

I am no expert and I have been all over google, it does look like drinking more ater etc, I am not sure if the solid bits are intestinal lining which I think they do shed at times, not sure it looks like worms, bit of a mystery to me.

Something is obviously going on if Amber is tail down etc, and she is not eating.

I havn't any experience of feather pulling etc, but I do have a lady who is moulting in clumps, throat area and belly.

Sorry not much help, hope someone will be along soon )t'

I am sure you have but have you checked, ears, eyes, nose any discharge? belly swollen at all? hot?
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Thank you for your help, Perchy.
Yes those bits definitely looked like intestinal lining to me.

Her eyes and beak looked ok and clear, her breathing didn't seem rattly or laboured, I have put her back out in the coop and didn't think to check her ears. Underneath, she felt ok, no sign of obstruction but she is very thin all over, I can feel all the bones very clearly and both she and Ginger (who I bathed yesterday) had very prominent breast bones, much more so than usual.

More info in the hope it helps with a diagnosis:
No blood in the poop (thought it was a bit hard to tell from the photo)
All the girls were wormed with Flub at the end of August
Had a good look at both girls and no signs of mites
Have been laying well and seemed very bright - Amber has gone downhill this afternoon.

Re Wiggy: Thanks for that bit about the hen who is moulting in clumps, that makes me feel a bit less panicked. I thought it was a bit of an odd place to peck feathers from, so I shall be keeping my fingers crossed she is just being her usual "different" self.
perchy

Post by perchy »

I did think Cocci whatever it is, I am also not sure if that poop always has blood in, those symptoms are similar to what you describe, strange they are both thin, I know my brown ladies always seem thin ish compared to the others but are fit and well if you know what I mean.

Here is something, not sure if it is any help, some of the symptoms seem similar

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenho ... ckens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could you get advice from a vet? such a worry
perchy

Post by perchy »

Oh my goodness me, having read symptoms and especially the thin ness it does sound like worms }hairout{

I will put Manda on your title, she is an expert {hug}
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Re: Getting worried ~ Manda

Post by bluebell »

I am no expert but from the photos and description sounds like coccidiosis. Here's a question - does your hens poo have a weird smell?

Coccidosis is recognisable by a strong odour - it is similar but different to a broody hen's poo, but watery. The description of the keel bone sticking out - that's the breast bone that runs down from of hen's chest sticking out makes me think coccidiosis. you could have a vet analyse a faecal sample, or you could get some baycox from vet or try harkers coxoid (its a cocci treatment for pigeons and other birds).

People normally associate worms with bloody diarrhoea, but late stage its green, watery poo (if I remember correctly) I've had hens come to me with cocci before.

Hope your chooks OK - oh yes your other hen is moulting they tend to start round neck/breast area chucking last year's feathers off with abandon.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
manda

Post by manda »

Do you know what when I read this in the other thread I thought Cocci but then you said you'd wormed them.....I'd worm her again asap and then again in 2 weeks...which is the life cycle from Oocyte to parasite (I think actually it's 12 days but near enough)

In the meantime if you canI would suggest you scrape the top layer of the earth in the run out and throw some new top layer down...if they're in the ground then the chooks will just keep picking them up again.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
perchy

Post by perchy »

Thank you Manda and Bluebell {hug&kiss}
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Thank you so much for all your help. {hug}
Um... She seems fine today :oops:
Still got runny poos but they look normal, as did all the poo on the coop floor, from last night, she is bright and eating. Two eggs in the nestbox. I am cleaning out the run as you recommend Manda, worming and will keep a close eye.
They like to keep you on your toes don't they?

bluebell wrote:
Hope your chooks OK - oh yes your other hen is moulting they tend to start round neck/breast area chucking last year's feathers off with abandon.

Phew! I am so relieved. She looks like a feather duster today!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Naughty girl for worrying us all! That there Amber {warn}

So pleased she's more like her hentastic self today, sounds like she and Ginge need a good feeding up. I wonder if this is a new henpal campaign?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I was worried I would go out this morning and find she had fallen off her perch.
I wonder if the moulting has been taking it out of them? I shall try giving them a bit of a boost.

Amber, I don't need your help to make me look a fool )j;
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

You don't look a fool at all {warn} It's only natural you worry about them and you picked up on a change of behaviour so )t'

It's possible it is the moult. My girls do all sorts of odd poos when moulting's coming on, they go off their food (for about a day) and stand about looking ever so miserable. But you can't be sure it's a moult until feathers start coming, we know they hide their symptoms well and i have mistaken more serious illnesses for moults before so don't be hard on yourself. best to be safe than sorry
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
perchy

Post by perchy »

)c( )c(
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Thank you lovely DTLers for always being ready with advice and support.
{hug}

Got a good look at Wiggy's chest while she was roosting and there are tiny new pin feathers poking through. She has been ultra nervy all day, keeping her distance and and running every time anyone gets near too. (Guess that I wont see any more Wiggy eggs for a while! Talk about rarity value. {rofwl} )

I did the girls some mash this evening and Amber and Ginger practically mugged me for it, so I am less stressed on that front.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Ooh little tinkers!! those feathers coming through must make them feel miserable, the new ones have to break through the skin yike* and take all their energy, hopefully they are on the up again >ch<

I am so glad there is usually someone here to help {hug}