Ex barn hens poo

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
scratchitup
Learner Laner

Ex barn hens poo

Post by scratchitup »

Hi I am new to the forum so apologise that this may be an old topic for you. I collected 20 barn hens on Sunday to add to my existing 5 pure breeds. They are separate at the moment. My question is that the new girls have mustard coloured quote smelly loose PPP. I wonder of worms or could it just be change of environment? They are on same crumble mix the farmer had them on and have not seen grass yet as I thought settle them in first on fairly bland ground before they see the paddock in a couple of weeks. About 8 are laying. Advice please

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Ex barn hens poo

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I wouldn't think they had worms or at least not a bad dose or you would be able to easily see them in the poo.
You could do a comparison with The Poo Chart to set your mind at ease.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
manda

Post by manda »

Quite possibly stress ....give them a little time and see if it settles....but don't rule out worms just because they've come from cages doesn't mean they don't have them.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I help rehome ex-commercial hens - being part of Fresh Start for Hens - we always recommend owners worm new hens - just because they are barn hens doesn't mean they won't have worms. Sounds like caecal poo by sound of it, but that's just normally every so many times. As has been said could be stress - but personally I'd still worm them x
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
scratchitup
Learner Laner

Post by scratchitup »

Thanks for your advice. Have checked poo chart and yes is the C poo (can't remember name). I have rung farmer and they were wormed before getting to Point-of-Lay but not since so I will do so and keep
Separate from my girls for another week. They are very funny with bare bums and necks but are all lovely today's sunshine. Eating like piggies though so I hope they learn to forage soon!
Thanks again
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

Don't worry to much about them learning to forage - you'll be amazed just how quickly they become natural chickens. And they'll dig up your garden so watch what you wish for :-D

If you're worming them, might be worth giving them a check over for lice as well - my last rescue hens were covered in them and I had figured that they would have been treated for them as well as wormed so definitely worth a quick check.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
scratchitup
Learner Laner

Post by scratchitup »

Will do. Need help to go through the lot but agree it's a good plan now they have been here a few days and are relaxing
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I would ring their legs as then you can work out who is doing what and naming is easy .
Bob
scratchitup
Learner Laner

Post by scratchitup »

Well
A few days on and all the girls are doing fine but my older hens are still being slightly grumpy. The new girls took over the older girls house yesterday and laid their eggs there. Beryl the rhode went mad and squawked at them and guarded the house door that night ...very funny to watch.
Just started worming process and all girls checked for lice and all clear. So ok so far ...thanks for advice :)