Perching

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
wibble5
Learner Laner

Perching

Post by wibble5 »

Hi all,

Was observing my two girls going to bed last night (left the shed door open ajar to see what they were up to!) and noticed that one of them was trying to burrow her head under the other one's body and wing, so much so they pretty much ended up on top of one another. But when the one on top got bored and moved, the other one started grumbling at her and tried to burrow underneath again! Was this because she was tired and wanted to block the light out? I thought that it was normal for them to perch at night, but they don't seem to want to, instead preferring to cuddle together in a corner. They seem fine in every other respect, laying well and would eat absolutely everything in sight if I let them.

Sam

Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

i like a snuggle when i go to bed
dont you ?
being a flock bird saftey in numbers
i have 15 birds but when i go to lock up for the night
i have a weak torch and in the low light i normally count only about 10 birds i then have to go in and count
normally some are under others or they are so closely packed you cant tell them apart
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
wibble5
Learner Laner

Post by wibble5 »

That's ok, I've not had them long and am not used to their habits! It is really cute to see them snuggling up, and I can't blame them in this weather!
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

When I first got hens they sat in the corner of the coop in one big feathery bundle and ignored the perch. I had to teach them how to use the perch by putting them on it myself in turn. After a few days they all got the hang of it and when their automatically at night.

When you go to open the pop hole in the morning they make a very distinctive 'flump' sound as they jump off - I like that. :)
wibble5
Learner Laner

Post by wibble5 »

It's funny because when I go to let them out, they have got on the perch by then - and I know what you mean about the "flump"! I think they get up on the perch when they wake up and stand to attention, waiting for me to get out of bed and go and open the door (I play a guessing game with myself as to which one will come out first - is that sad?? :oops: ). I've started leaving my bedroom window open and, every morning without fail between 6am and 7am, I hear one of them quietly crowing, saying "let me out"! So I shuffle down bleary-eyed, say hello to them, let them out and then go back to bed! If I'm not at work, that is... Roll on darker mornings, then I can get a sleep-in!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It's a lovely noise they make isnt it.