Shenanigans at the stables

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Lady Muckpicker
Learner Laner

Shenanigans at the stables

Post by Lady Muckpicker »

I've been lurking on the forum again whilst laying on the couch out the sun. Hubby has been cajoled into watering all the tubs :-D so thought I'd log in and share the last few weeks.

I managed to get the dreaded worming done. I didn't confine them to the stable in the end as it was no longer 'spare' (long story) so they were confined to their enclosure for a week which turned into two as one of the field was sprayed and fertilised and I didn't want them eating anything toxic.

The little blighters didn't eat many of their medicated pellets and I caught pigeons and starlings tucking in several times but used the pellets for the two weeks and hope they've had enough.

A couple of weeks ago one of the hens died. I noticed she was off colour one day and picked her up and she felt quite fluidy round the abdomen. I took her straight to the vet who said it was either peritonitis or tumours and put her to sleep as there was nothing he could do. I was upset obviously but more surprised that he didn't suggest any treatment >coc<

A few days later I had a call from my neighbour asking me about my cockerels! Cockerels? What cockerels? I asked if she was sure it wasn't one of the hens laying an egg :-D she was most indignant and said she knows what a cockerel sounds like. I was on my way up there anyway and sure enough as soon as I unlocked the gate I could hear crowing. Two little fellas ( have since found out they are Pekin bantams) had been chucked over during the
night.

Anyway they've been no trouble and there's no neighbours to worry about. It's quite amusing watching the hens chasing them sometimes.

A couple of days ago I treated myself to some more chooks. I get asked so often for eggs and we eat a fair few ourselves and we have so much room. We went to the same place we bought the original crew from and I let my daughter choose while I went to the ATM to get some cash as he didn't do cards. So I've got two Black Rocks, an Amber Star, a Bluebelle and two Speckledy something's??

They have settled in well and surprisingly not much aggro from the others :-D

chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Re: Shenanigans at the stables

Post by chookmike »

I love Blubells and will certainly be getting a couple next time. Of our original 6 we are now left with just Head girl and Bottom girl so I am not sure that is a good mix for introductions - will wait until we are left with just one I think.

Mike
jackian
Legendary Laner

Re: Shenanigans at the stables

Post by jackian »

I have a Bluebell and she is beautiful . Lays lovely eggs regularly and gets on with the other girls, certainly no trouble but in the 18 months I have had her I have never been able to pick her up. If I go into garden she hides under a bush like I'm the wicked witch !
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown