What hens lay the biggest eggs?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
DaveEllon
Learner Laner

Re: What hens lay the biggest eggs?

Post by DaveEllon »

I had three but two got taken by a fox. She's been on her own since Feb. I'm thinking about getting another one or two to keep her company.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Always a balance between risk - fox, traffic etc - and freedom. I agree with you (probably).

Are there hens next door for her to visit while she's scrounging spilt feed?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
DaveEllon
Learner Laner

Post by DaveEllon »

The farm had ten but they ran some over and the rest got taken. I haven't seen one up there for months. Sometimes a couple used to come back with Clare into my garden which was nice. She's a survivor though. Very canny around the tractors but I always worry.
ChickenLane
Learner Laner

Post by ChickenLane »

Mo wrote:My favourites, Black Rock, are a cross between Rhode Is & Plymouth Rock, so their big eggs are predictable. And the White Star also laid big eggs and I see she was developed from Leghorn (early developer too and an egg machine in the first year but had shell problems after that).

Yes I have several rhode island hybrids and they seem to lay medium to large eggs most days- love their eggs {hug}
DaveEllon
Learner Laner

Post by DaveEllon »

Typical. As soon as I post how she comes back home every night I forget to go out and close the garage door on her last night. No sign of her this morning and no egg in her nest. I'm fretting now. Either she stayed out, got run over or left very early and hasn't come back to drop an egg. I hope my little girlie is ok.
DaveEllon
Learner Laner

Post by DaveEllon »

Found her up at the farm in one of the barns eating spilled pig feed. :)

I'm guessing today's egg got dropped elsewhere but I'll not begrudge her the occasional loss. My fault for not keeping her indoors until she'd laid.
DaveEllon
Learner Laner

Post by DaveEllon »

An interesting story today. I went back to the battery farm with 11,000 chickens to see about buying another couple to keep Clare company. The guy had forgotten that I'd bought three this time last year. He charged me £10 each back then but as we chatted today I found out that all the chucks get replaced at this time of year anyway and he only gets about 1 quid each for them to be taken off to be slaughtered for food. Also he was about to have an inspection as they were losing all their feathers from stress and confinement. He showed me one which was completely bald. So I picked up a couple of the best ones for a fiver for the pair. So that's Carol and Diane come to keep Clare company. I wish I'd known a bit more last year. I could have got all three for a tenner instead of 30 quid.
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

The record around here is 105g laid by an ISA Warren ex battery hen. She laid quite a few around this size, but by no means every time.
The biggest eggs I get at the moment are laid by a tiny Black Rock although I haven't weighed any.
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Just realised that my largest egg laying chicken is the girl on the right. She has flown Rainbow Bridge now but will forever be the standard to which all my chickens should aspire. And I don't mean for the size of her eggs, I mean for her truly amazing personality and determination. Hats off to beautiful Pearl.
kcorbyn
Learner Laner

Post by kcorbyn »

Hi all new to this site! I was interested in the title what hens lay the biggest eggs? I have Bantams so for me I like to think more of who lays the smallest eggs? I have just designed and manufactured an egg box for sale in the UK for Bantam eggs and spent many months weighing and measuring eggs. Amazing the differences in sizes from chickens that body wise look the same! If anyone is interested in Bantam egg boxes please take a look at my website http://thebantambox.co.uk thank you :-D