A Good Year For Rabbits (But Not If You're a Rabbit)

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

A Good Year For Rabbits (But Not If You're a Rabbit)

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Round our way the rabbit population has exploded.
They tunnelled from next door and made a burrow under our old goat house and there are burrows in at least three of the nearby houses not to mention infesting the hedgerows out the back.
I've had to build frames with weldmesh around the veg beds as they were attacking anything we planted.
I have resorted to shooting any I see on my land and think I have sorted them in the burrow under the goat house but they are still coming in from outside.
I spoke to the farmer out back, who saw me shooting the ones in my garden and he said there were hundreds over his land and his rabbit man was hard pushed trying to control them so asked if I could pot any I saw on his land around my boundary.
I'm the local vixens best mate as she gets a ready supply of rabbit without having to run about.
Between me, the rabbit man, the vixen and a cat that catches his own we are starting to reduce their numbers.
Dom
Ali Woks My World

p.penn

Re: A Good Year For Rabbits (But Not If You're a Rabbit)

Post by p.penn »

We shall have to call you Mr MacGregor!!

At the garden centre, quite a number of plants have been nibbled by bunnies. It's never been this bad in the 7 summers I have been working there, so perhaps it is a 'good year' for bunnies. :bun: :bun: :bun:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Post by manda »

How weird Toby and I were just talking about rabbits...here our numbers have dropped but our friends up the road have a dairy farm and their numbers have risen.

So he's going to shoot there Mmmm Rabbit...delicious, haven't had it for a while.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi, not seen to many squashed ones on the roads around me . Lots around and lots of foxes . Maybe the town foxes will go back to the country side.
I am a anti fox hunter . A dodgy subject I know but they do control other animals and play a part in the country side.
Bob .
lost chickens to a fox but do not blame the fox only my stupidity in allowing it to catch them .
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

A few days before I came to Southampton they harvested the fields in fron tand behind me down the Lane.
Afterwards I was chatting to one of the Farm Hands (apologies, expect they have a posh PR title now) and he told me there was a huge influx this year.

They were doing a night time shooting cull the day after I left for my daughter's.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome