Why are your hens called that particular name?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
sandy
Legendary Laner

Why are your hens called that particular name?

Post by sandy »

Must have been a few years ago now…….So lets do an update as many hens have now passed on and new ones are on the scene…...
interested why you have given your girls their names?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Re: Why are your hens called that particular name?

Post by ChickenCarol »

I have gone with descriptive names right from the start and have continued with this theme. I lost two girls earlier this year and so have just added two new girls, five days ago.

My remaining older flock of bantams were Topaz, gold laced wyndotte named for her colour, Honey a vorwerk also her colour. Toffee is a game bird and is Toffee coloured, (you see the theme here). Emerald also a game bird is black but shimmers with green and purple. Peaches and Barley are brown leghorns and have lovely peachy breasts.

The two new girls are a goldtop and an ancana. I have used a lot of "gold" names already but the goldtop is Butterscotch because that is exactly her colour, The ancana is black with little white spots so it was a no brainer, she is Speckles. I love naming for their looks and think all their names really suit them but of course I am biased.

The two new girls have settled in really well.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Whatever inspiration hits and I think suits their personalities or appearances. Casper is called that because she's white and a friendly little ghost (very shy but inquisitive), Rembrandt because she's imperious and a beautiful pallet of colours, and Tigger because when we got her out of the cages she never stopped bouncing around, and still doesn't )t'

You haven't answered your own question Sandy!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

We started over 5 years ago with ..Annie and clover named by the grandchildren . I still have Clover . Then we went onto Eva although my husband called her evil ( not a nice chicken ) and Bonnie . I still have Bonnie at over 4 .
Blossom as we adopted her and we knew she would blossom . My daughter always calls her Elvis as she has a Elvis hairdo. Bluebell because she is a bluebell.
The latest 2 my husband brought 2 days before he died and called one Ruby as it was soon to be our Ruby wedding and I named the other Chelsea after his favourite football team .

Jackie x
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

Mabel ....because my Gran was the best ever...Evelyn because she was my Gran's lifelong friend.......and Katie? Well, my husband repeatedly said "no, we are NOT having chickens "....SO....I made a bargain with my pal Katie, " if you can reverse my husband's opinion"(guess !! ) {rofwl} {rofwl}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Like Katiee mine have usually been named after relatives, love your names CC, and Jackian {hug}
I nearly always have called my hens after great aunts, aunts and older friends and then named new girls on a variation of past girls names as in Elsie…Elsa..Eva Betty..Beth..Amanda-jayne..Janet Miranda, four girls have come to me already named only Blanche's name did I change because I had lost my Beryl only 3 weeks before and besides Blanche was practically white and Blanche was a great aunt.
As I have been through 25 hens names now come if I like it on a cherished charm, little non real silver hearts I put on a chain.
So my current girls are
Iris Ivy a black tipped gold line..2 of my mum's friends
Blanche .. a tiny light sussex (as said before0
Violet Vera(Vera a great aunt and Violet because I always said I would name a bluebelle Violet)
Megan Moo.a bluebella.love the name
Maureen Sheila..a amber star..after my dad's late sisters
and the moggies..ie rangers
Rosie May after my gran
Eva Eve..a play on Elsa
Gracie Macie..liked the name
Lily Pink..my aunts mother
Hazel Hannah…always was going to call a ginger Hazel and Hannah because she gets called Haze a lot so Hannilbal Heyes(so deep I know {rofwl} )
Honey Bun..she is a honey colour and a complete lovely Honey of a girl.
Okay come on you lot I am really interested in hearing other reasons from you, thanks for the aboves. very interesting
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Sandy, I call my Honey - Honey Bunny!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Mostly after childrens fiction.
Nancy & Peggy (Blackett - Black Rocks) and Susan (a white star), - Swallows & Amazon.
Willhemina, Ginger, Henrietta, - Just William.
Or a play on there breeds or colours. Hybrid Morans were Mary Jane (called Jane) & Mary Ann (aka Goldy). A Rhode Island cross - proper 'little red hen' - Rosie. Blackie (a Black Rock mostly black), Golda (Black rock with golden feathers).
And really unimaginative, after 10 years 'the White Star', 'the Bluebell', 'the Rockers'
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Ayrshire Dave
Lively Laner

Post by Ayrshire Dave »

Ours were named by the grandkids after the coloured rings on their legs, blue ring Betty, purple ring Penny etc. We never name ours just put the different rings on for easy identification. We just referred to them as red chook, blue chook etc after the ring colour.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi

I used to have names when I started but as you say, after quite some years and about 100 later.......!!!

However, most of my recent chickens have shared the name 'Getoutthe######way'

)run(

Richard :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Ayrshire Dave
Lively Laner

Post by Ayrshire Dave »

Richard wrote:Hi

I used to have names when I started but as you say, after quite some years and about 100 later.......!!!

However, most of my recent chickens have shared the name 'Getoutthe######way'

)run(

Richard :-D

That's funny, ours seem to be called that almost on a daily basis lol
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

The first batch were very un-imaginative!

Ranger - Texas
Speckledy - Specs or Specsy
Bluebell - McQueen (cos she was the first to escape) or Queenie
Copper Black - Copper or CopCop

The ex-batts were given names based on:

Little Mo - sporting a purple Mohican from being bullied
Marilyn - Marilyn Manson (guest appearance on Sons of Anarchy)
Dotty - cos she is nuts!

{rofwl}
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I have to say that although all mine have names I think they think they are all called girlie. I constantly chat to them saying things such as - hello girlies, what you up to girlies? etc. Girlie probably gets voiced more than any name. I know what you mean about "out from under my feet" though. It's a miracle I haven't trodden on a girlie!
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Lily is called Lily as she is white.
Marigold as she is a golden colour.
Ruby because my friend named her and Molly because i think she suited the name.
They also get called "Girlies" more often than not.
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Mine get called allsorts - girlies, pumpkins, you lot, troubles, babies, tinkies.. and I'm sure others which I daren't repeat in public!

I have trodden on a few toes, never actually squashed a chicken yet though
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper