Why are your hens called that particular name?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Why are your hens called that particular name?

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi my flock are opposite they walk all over me .
Penelope prounced pen e lope after thunderbirds .
Parker as he was with her on vet visit (her driver .
Champ at the time beat up Parker .
Lav as a lavender cockerel also known as Nelson.
Red was one of my first girls of the flock Boss originally not so much now.
Chocolate as she was darky than the others .
Trouble who was found under a car and brought back died in trouble eating the dog food ......
Marion , spelling changes al the time . As in maid marion robin hood, Unfortunate not a maid any more.....
Billy no b...... as was scared of the girls as twice as big as him . Now the father of the flock . Guardain to them all .
Quaker . So friendly I thought he was a Quaker .
Custard who ran from her own shadow ..
Heart as purple rings and always on my shoulder looking for food when on the bench.
Minnie she was so small, the rehomers was relucant to give her me. Should see the girl now big as the rest and eats for three.
Snow white ( was Snow flake ) Named by friends daughter as had a white rear end .
Silver as she has silver leaf feathers on her back.
Bloomers my first pedigree , legs had feathers like bloomers when she walked around .(gone but remembered ,Funny that she was never the friendiliest of the girls but a good listener .
Group girlies I call the floppies as their ccombes are droppy.
The new girls are yet to be named except one I will call MONK as she seems to wander harmlessly around and feed her by hand through the fence .All ringed and combination of colours .
They may not be all named but are angels every one.
Bob

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

I have loved reading this post; such lovely names.
I have 16 chickens but only named 3 of them myself. The whole family seems to suddenly be very chicken interested when new ones arrive and we've had some great names. Current ladies are:
Portia - named because she and her mate Arabella looked so snooty I thought they needed posh totty names.
Chestnut - named by my eldest daughter because of her colour
Heather - named by my grandson because she has the hauteur of an eagle and eagles live on heather moors
Astrid - because she's the blondest of her gang and looks like a Nordic queen
Roxy - long legged glamour girl
Olive - named by my Dad. He just thought it suited her
Lucy - a friend's daughter was convinced that we had a chicken named after her. We didn't at the time but when this friendly, confident chicken arrived we named her after the little human girl. Human child was very happy.
Esmeralda - Esmeralda and Florence were named by my husband who just thought they
Florence were suitable names
Lucky - this is her original name given to her by my neighbours whose chicken she was. They called her this because she had survived a number of fox and mink attacks. Now she lives with us and mostly I call her Zoom because of the speed she whizzes around at. She's also Little Black Hen and Belinda Bantam. Lucky they don't respond to their names isn't it?
Tessa - really Contessa. Named by my Dad and because of her self assured nature.
Dovahkiin - named by her previous carers. It means 'dragon born' and I think the son of the house named her.
Strawberry - called this by my grand daughters who thought it was a pretty name.
Audrey - named by my son in law who just felt it was a good chicken name.
Saphira - named by my youngest daughter - a dragon from Eragon. Some chickens just look like dragons.
Khaleesi - also named by my youngest daughter - comes from Game of Thrones. It means 'queen' so she has a lot to live up to.

I did have four lovely names (in my opinion) ready to give to my four new ladies but didn't get the chance to name any of them. Next time.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I sometimes change my mind with their names once I get to know them better
I bought 2 little bantams already named Orpy & Speckles, I called them Blackberry and Nettle after dh's favorite tea, then Blackberry became Misspiggy as she is so greedy.
One eyed Bonny was named after Anne Bonny the pirate.
Tiny's posh name is Ariadne, but I call her Tiny because she's so big. I cant change
it back now as she knows her name & comes when I call her.
Spotty hatched out with a spot on her head.
Giblet was named by my son when she hatched, I didnt mind her having such a horrible name as I didnt expect her to live long !
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

My current chooks are called 'Pudding' and 'Pie' as they were a pressie from a friend a few years back when I got a new job making pies :-D

My oldest is called Ellwood and originally she had a sister called Jake. They laid blue/green eggs so they were named after The Blues brothers :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , My neighbours call my boys `SHUT UP ` .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi again , They know their names as they reply even louder ....
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:Hi , My neighbours call my boys `SHUT UP ` .
Bob

{rofwl}
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Chickachicka
Learner Laner

Post by Chickachicka »

We named one each, so we have my Gold Brahma who is Mother Gothel. Named after the witch who keeps Rapunzel in her tower. We picked them up on Mothers Day, the song came on in the car and it seemed wholly appropriate!

My daughter named her Wheaten Maran 'Elsa'. Anyone with children or grandchildren of Disney age will understand.

My son named the vorwerk 'Toothless'. After another Disney dragon.

My husband didn't get to name his Brahma. She had plucked the feathers from her bottom in her former home so she automatically became known as BB - BareBum or Bridget Bardot, depending on which way she was facing!
lizro
Learner Laner

Post by lizro »

I like this post!
BB Queen - started off as Big Bertha as she is the largest hen then morphed to BB Queen in honour of BB King
Blues Band - well she has a blue plastic leg band but Blues Band is one of my favourite bands with lovely Paul Jones
Nina Simone - that hen is very musical when she calls
Maggie - she is the bottom hen and when we got her we were told to spray her head with purple antiseptic to help prevent the others pecking the little feathers on her head - now my sister Margaret sports a purple rinse so she had to be Maggie.
Erika - is the smallest and prettiest and is named after my daughters partners mum - who is tiny, pretty.....

And yes I and my other half are pretty keen on Blues/jazz!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Latest girl to be named is the Dark /light green ring ,Chops.She is Lara raiding partner . Everytime I grab her from the dog food bowl she stuffs as much in her chops as she can carry . Does not drop a bit ,then runs for cover before the other girls can steal it away.
bob