Disposing of dead chickens?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
lizro
Learner Laner

Re: Disposing of dead chickens?

Post by lizro »

Hi - this is really useful post as I am new to keeping hens and started with 8 ex 'free range' rescue hens from BHWT. I am afraid 3 died so I had the 'what to do with the remains' discussion. In the end I took them 1 mile down my lane and up a big hill in the field for the red kites to take. I didn't want to put them out in my garden for the foxes or the kites as I don't want to encourage them to look for food here. Some of my neighbours put scraps out for the kites and they will swoop down in the gardens but I don't think it is good idea.
I would bury my pets in the garden though - we have our first dog in the garden and our old cat but we put a heavy slab over her resting place just in case the foxes had any ideas.

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi,My late Penelope has been buried in my rock garden . To special to me to feed the foxes.
Will get a suitable memorial for her at some point in time .
Bob
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

I am firmly on the soft side of the fence - all of the chickens that have died have been buried in the run so they are still close to the ones still alive.

Saying that, all of the kids pets are also buried in the garden - thats about 30 g-pigs, a couple of rabbits, a couple of dogs, hamsters and a cocketiel that is in with the chickens.

Its like Pet Cemetery in my garden - if anyone has watched the film, I don't want that happening!!!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I buried the first few but having had probably over 100 or so over the years........etc.

It's how one feels most comfortable )t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I know what I should do, but don't. Since keeping chickens I have only had three at a time and have buried two. One under a plum tree and one under a rose bush.
I consider my chooks as pets and felt real sorrow at the loss of each one, so when I pick the plums and smell the lovely rose, I remember them.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.