When to integrate?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ChookDee
Learner Laner

When to integrate?

Post by ChookDee »

Hi All,

I have had my new girls for 7 weeks now so that makes them 19 weeks old this week, for the first 5 weeks they were in a separate run from the other girls but in view. I moved them in with the big girls 2 weeks ago but still kept them separated of with panels.
The problem I am having is that the hen which is at the bottom of the pecking order in my existing flock keeps trying to get at the little girls and has managed to peck one of the girls combs and make it bleed, so she obviously still has a problem with them!

How long would you leave it to fully integrate them? The new girls are pure breeds so they don't come int lay til a lot later than my hybrids. I have ordered a bumper bit as a last resort just to have one handy in case I have serious issues.

Any advise always gratefully received, this chicken keeping is not easy :-D

chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Re: When to integrate?

Post by chookmike »

Everyone worries and has problems with this issue and it is often the bottom hen that is the worst - which has no logic to me but there we are.

We have never had any new hens so can't be of any help - someone better will be along soon but I think it is basically wire netting between the warring parties then putting the new ones to bed in the original house after dark in the hope that no-one can remember who was there when they went to sleep.

All this without alcohol too!

Cheers

Mike
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , When ever you mix them it is going to be a brawl. Do it when they have plenty of space or places to escape , with two exits . Bottom girl is trying to be a boss of the new flock . Probably you will find new and old mixing and the flock change accordingly, Best of luck . Just read before bed or during sounds good too. Also when you can refferee . Have to judge it when to seperate fighters . It has to work itself out . make sure the new girls are fit and healthy to give them a chance to stand up for themselves. Another thing plenty of different food bowls etc as the bosses will keep the bottom girls away from the food even if they do not want any. Dont for get the water bowls as well as they have to drink as well .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

And stand by with a water pistol, so you can give the naughty culprit a good squirt when she takes it too far. Good advice from Bob )t'

Some say to distract them with treats but I've always found that makes them worse.

I almost think that separations almost prolonge the issue (different for yours, they weren't really old enough to mix) and it's kind of better to get it over with.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Also be careful with any bleeding, it attracts pecking. Purple spray is antiseptic
and disguises anything red, or if is around the face I usually use a bit of sudocream.
Combs can bleed quite profusely so if that happens when they're together, best to
take that one out until the bleeding has stopped.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi

I agree with all above.

Sometimes we just have to count to 10 and that's it.

I've only separated one with new Hens, some really really sad Ex-Batts who were in a terrible condition.

I don't know how many times I've introduced now, must be in the region of 20 times or more.

I put the new ones in at Dusk and past the punch up hour - I'd say 90% of the time, other than the odd brawl, they've been fine.

It's their natural way of doing things, we can help a little, but it's nature's way.

I would definitely give the bumper bits a miss.

Good luck.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ChookDee
Learner Laner

Post by ChookDee »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Never thought about popping them in the coop at night, think I will give that a try but be up extra early to let them out, I have a water pistol so will have that at the ready when I mix them!

Came home to another problem today, one of the new girls wings is really hanging down low, not sure when that happened as I didn't notice it this morning. She can move it and is happy chatting away and scratching around but it is obviously causing her some discomfort. I was thinking about giving it a few days to see how it goes before taking her off to the vet, is that the best thing to do?
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Watch when she flaps her wings . Maybe one side only=vets if both flap then it needs watching I think . But safest way is probably a vet .Not the best start to her new home .
As always it is your call as you are on the spot. Never look back on it though . What ever you do is the best .
bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

She might have knocked or strained it. Keep an eye on her, and if you can handle her just give her a very gentle feel to see whether everything seems in order. Obviously not if she appears in pain in which case vets I think - they may not be able to do anything about the wing (can't put it in a sling!) but could prescribe painkillers

Bob's given a good tip - both wings down + tail down/hunched and head nodding is a sign that the chicken is ill so definitely something to watch out for in general (not in this case by the sounds of it though)
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
ChookDee
Learner Laner

Post by ChookDee »

She came out of the coop fine this morning and flapped both wings, chatting away and eating and drinking and I have just seen her clean under her wing. Her wing is still hanging down low but I dont think it looks as bad as yesterday, poor little girl she is not having a good week!

I really hope it is nothing too serious but will keep a very close eye on her this weekend. I wont even think about integrating them yet.

At least it is the right weather for sitting in the garden and doing some serious chicken watching :-D
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi ,Sounds good . She probably has pulled a wing muscle or something . All you can do is watch that she does not go off her food . .
Best luck and keep writing up .
Bob
ChookDee
Learner Laner

Post by ChookDee »

Little flo's wing looks a lot better today, it is higher up and it is sitting closer to her body. She has been fine all weekend with regards to eating and drinking and has been getting on doing all the normal things chickens get up too! I hope you are right Bob and she has just pulled a muscle >fi<

Thanks to everyone for all your support.
ChookDee
Learner Laner

Post by ChookDee »

Just a quick update that Flo's wing in completely back to normal :-D

So going to put them all together next weekend and just hope that it goes ok, was going to do it this weekend but I am not around much to keep an eye on them. Will let you know how it goes!
Susan59
Lively Laner

Post by Susan59 »

I do find all the advice invaluable. I too am in the midst of integrating three new little girls with three established one year old girls. We had the new girls in a separate pen for two weeks, although they could all see each other. They all free range together in the garden, but still tend to be two sets of three with the older girls chasing off the little ones, although fortunately no major scenes of violence. At dusk the babies still head back to the guinea pig hutch that we use as a temporary coop - the 'summer house' as my son calls it. We transfer them into the main coop when the big girls are quiet, but Edina will still get up and harass the babies for 5 minutes. I do feel awful shoving the newbies in to be harassed, but I know it has to be done as the summer house is not a permanent home.
The integration process is fraught and nerve-wracking, but overall it is out weighed by the joys of seeing the chickens pottering about.
It has been really helpful to me to read about fellow laners experiences, and take note of the warning signs to be alert to, and all the good ideas. Thank you, all.
Aspiring to early retirement - 2 children, 1 dog, 1 cat and 6 lovely chickens
ChookDee
Learner Laner

Post by ChookDee »

So after putting it off for the last couple of weeks I finally decided to pop the new girls in with the oldies last night, so after they has all gone to bed I popped the new girls in the coop and was up at the crack of dawn to keep an eye on them.

I hung up cabbage and made sure there were plenty of food and water bowls around for them. The poor girls have been bullied today, they have been able to eat and drink and there have been times when they have been left alone. One of the little girls has had a feather pulled from her foot which has bled so I have cleaned it and put wound powder on, apart from that no other injuries.

Is this normal? Am I doing everything right or can I be doing anything differently?

Thanks

Dee