Babies on the way!!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
chickdom
Lively Laner

Babies on the way!!

Post by chickdom »

Advice needed please.
I have 2 broodies expecting their chicks over the next 2 days (eggs came from the same clutch). I have them in the same pen together along with 2 more broodies who are expecting their chicks 10 days later. I am hoping that the first 2 will not have issues with each others babies. So fingers crossed that all goes well there, my query is what should i do when the second batch of babies and mothers come along? Considering there will be nearly 2 weeks difference in chick ages, can I expect problems between the first 2 mums and the second 2?
I really dont want to be making up a new area for mums and bubs, as these houses are costing me a fortune to build!!
2 weeks will be too early to introduce to the flock...or will it? My main pen does not have a cover over it so cats can jump in, and a 2 week old chick will make a lovely meal! :shock:
Has anyone had a similar experience? Do new mums generally get along? Most of the literature I have read is to the contrary. All 4 mums to be are young (each only 8-9 months old) so maybe wont be as aggressive as an older hen?

Any advice appreciated

:) :)
many animals, 4 children, 1 very patient husband!