Autumnal Jobs - Getting ready for Winter

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Autumnal Jobs - Getting ready for Winter

Post by Richard »

Hi

Depressing isn't it !!

But September and October usually brings about a few pleasant light jumper days when we can get up the Garden and make a few adjustments and fulfil maintenance needs in and around our Coops.

I always think don't overdo it, especially in shutting up everything without sufficient ventilation.. Chickens are very adaptable in the colder month's, often healthier than the hotter times.

The main job is security of the flock, start feeling around the fences for any weak spots, any lose panels around the shed which could rot sufficiently for Mr. or Mrs. Fox to bite into.
A six inch wide by as little as three inch high hole is enough for many to get through.

Anyone doing anything maintenance wise?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Autumnal Jobs - Getting ready for Winter

Post by KarenE »

Yes there's a definite autumnal nip in the air )gr:

I've got tons of work to do in the garden, I have done very little this year so lots of pruning back and weeding to do, plus replacing the broken pond pump. That's my maintenance. I need to clear out the old wood chips from the girls lower run and replace with aubiose and keep their top run topped up. We also have a leak in the roof which we need to fix before the winter weather really sets in. I think it's secure everywhere but never any harm in checking.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We have been cutting asters and crocosmia down, they had seen much better days. Picked eating apples from one tree, which are too tart for me, but OH can eat them, and they are also OK for pies. The carport roof requires some roofing felt patches, but apart from that, nothing else has been done. We're still caravanning, so the thought of winter hasn't really struck us yet.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi, Am going to continue wiring the wood coops on the outside. If wood gives way , the wire will hold of till I see it . Areas not reachable outside , I do the inside ,Also the wire lets the air circulate. Drainage in the runs. stop the pond water overflow into the run. General improvements in the run so girls can exercise.
Bob
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good idea.

I've chicken wire stapled to some parts of my shed.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Spreckly wrote: Picked eating apples from one tree, which are too tart for me, but OH can eat them, and they are also OK for pies.

If they are James Grieve they get sweeter if you keep them till they go yellow. Still have an acid fresh taste but sweet too - one of my favourites. I couldn't eat them green though.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Haven't a clue what the apples are Mo! OH might remember though, if they are James Greave, we will store them in our large supply of banana boxes.

Still debating whether to take the Bramley down. It has grown well, but never bears much fruit. Also darkening the orchard area.

Since our return last Sunday, OH has pruned an acer which has a very sappy growth, and taken some bits off the top of our non-gardening neighbour's hedge. Illegal, I know, but the son hasn't touched it in over two years, and is a lazy creature. OH saving the runner beans which grew while we were away - the other neighbour who looks after our property for us never picks them, despite being told to.

The garden is looking tidier, with dead flower tubs removed from the front of the house, but once the frosts start, there will be plenty of outside jobs.

And the patch on the carport roof is still waiting to be fixed.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Spreckly wrote:Haven't a clue what the apples are Mo! OH might remember though, if they are James Greave, we will store them in our large supply of banana boxes.

No use keeping them very long. Once they are yellow they then start losing texture. Lovely just at the right time, which is usually sometime in September.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Planned for the weekend:

- Cut down all the old plants from the veggie patch and give to chickens / put in green bin
- Build a small pot shed to store tools and seed trays in over winter from the wood from the old chicken shed.
- Cut up the rest of the shed wood and burn, so hopefully a marshmallow night :)
- Strip down the last pallet for some 'making' time
- Build a couple of quick things to try out on Etsy (anyone else sell anything on there?)
- Find that bloomin' leak in the shed roof!!

Hopefully thats a weekend sorted as the kids are out and the weather stays good!