Cats and Chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Cats and Chickens

Post by Richard »

When we first got Big Ron (our somewhat huge male cat) he'd go for anything that moved it seems.
Size was irrelevant.

But up the Garden he went, looked at the Chickens which I shut in should there be any hassle and didn't take much notice.

We let them out and sure enough, he just carried on as normal. He will often sit and watch them, should anything get close to them, he'll see whatever it is off.

1. They're birds
2. They're a favourite flavoured cat food
3. They can occasionally peck a cat

yet all's well!

There is a possibility a hungry Feral may have a go but can I presume you all have similar experiences?

Richard

(put this in Chicken Keeping rather than Pets or Predators - confusing isn't it, but someone may google it !!).
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Cats and Chickens

Post by KarenE »

Our cat Jasper is very wary of the girls. He has been pecked a few times, and they do rush him and chase him off. Whenever we get new chickens, he will have a go at them and will stalk them round the garden jumping out at them but they soon put him in his place. Now they chase him off whenever he comes up to me as well, he has to sneak round the back of me so they can't see him. They are very protective of me and my husband.

Interestingly enough I have noticed it's always the bottom hen's job to look out for him and to chase him away.

I suspect you're right about feral cats Richard
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
DaveEllon
Learner Laner

Post by DaveEllon »

I was a bit concerned about the three cats up at the farm when I first got my girls last year but they have never taken the slightest interest. I suspect chickens are a bit too feisty for them.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Richard,
My two small cats give the girls a wide berth. The girls actuallt attack the cats . Boys keep away as just a pigeon size . I have a large stray cat now homed ,Darcy , He actually does not go in the back garden unless the girls are locked up. So I think a cat V chicken (s ) are well matched . Fox does nopt normally attack cats as they do not want to get hurt ,self protection. Should food not be around then all bets are off. Having said that Indie sleeps in the day in the straw in coop and last evening at 10.00pm I found Lexie in the new coop in run . He would have been locked up all night . (Mouse hunting is what I believe the main attraction is )
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

If I could work it out I wish I could cause I have a video of my first hen Alice leaping on Pip the cat!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

You have a cat called Pip, Sandy - so do we!

He loves the hens - or single hen as it is now. Wary since having his tail pulled but not frightened of them or them of him.

A previous cat of ours would shepherd the hens and fly at any strange cat that appeared on the fence even though at 7 kilos she couldn't quite get up the fence!

It is lovely to see different species getting on together - something the mice and frogs don't enjoy with either Pip or Head Girl...

Mike
lizro
Learner Laner

Post by lizro »

We have 2 cats; the older cat Soxy is a huge neutered tom who is terrified of the hens and gives them a wide berth but does watch them from a distance. The other cat Aramis - is only 1 year old - a replacement for Soxy's companion who died at a good age but Soxy then spent all day watching the cat flap and generally seemed bereft - anyway Aramis loves to chase the hens round the garden so we had to guard them a bit and he has had some time out in the greenhouse and seems to have got the message. He also likes to get in the roosting part of the cube and refuse to come out. But I always know when Aramis is about because of the hens warning call. The hens love to eat the cat food which is alright if it's the fish one but I draw the line at letting them have any of the chicken one. but they will push the cat off the plate if they get in the kitchen at feed time. I think the cat food is the one food they would fight over - they don't seem to like the dried meal worms at all.
I think dogs are another matter all together - my son's partners dog got in someone's front garden and killed 2 hens that were free ranging - so is banned from our garden now. We do have a dog who is fine with our hens and cats but would chase any cat and pigeon outside our boundaries so I wouldn't trust her completely.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I like the stories of all your cats with hens. When I first got my two hens Pip my cat was jealous at first - couldn't understand my attention to the hens. Then she started stalking them but soon stopped as they didn’t take any notice. She now likes to hang out in the garden with them and often when I call the hens the three of them come running. Pip really wants to get closer to them and tries to touch them nose to beak but of course the hens try to peck her but she is not deterred.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Hi

My cat Salem isn't bothered at all by them!

However, they are so friendly, they rush over to him, but that freaks him out abit!
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

They certainly look a happy bunch all hanging out together.