Selling Eggs

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Selling Eggs

Post by OldForum »

Vicky
I'm considering getting a few more hens (I have 7 just now)
At the moment I just give my surplus eggs to friends and neighbours, but a few parents down at my childrens' school have asked if I sell them because once they've tasted them they want more (which I simply can't provide just now!)
I'd like to get another 10 hens, but I'm anxious about what regulations I'd have to adhere too. I'm not looking to, or expecting to make mega bucks, but would like to cover the costs of feed and bedding and maybe have a bit over to buy a bottle of wine. Grin I wondered whether any other hen keepers do this and could give me any advice.
thanks

Mo
I think it's ok to sell to friends and neighbours.
If you stick a notice up, or sell in your local shop it's different.
And if you have more than 50 hens you must register with DEFRA because of bird flu

minidaz
Someone brought up this topic on another forum.

I cant find the exact bit, but basically it said that aslong as you dont advertise your eggs as free range, or organic, and that you dont sell then by size, then you are okay to sell them from your home.

There is quite a few houses near us that have signs out the front saying Fresh Eggs For Sale.

If i find the post, i'll put a link up ( aslong as it is okay to link to another forum )

Vicky
thanks for replying...I have registered with defra because our local news said defra was keen to hear about any size flocks. I think what I'm most worried about is whether the birds will have to have any jabs. I think the eggs would sell simply by word of mouth...and I would probably still end up giving them away as I don't really like the thought of selling eggs to friends. By any advice would be appreciated.
Its funny how these creatures are so addictive...I never thought a year ago, when I first got the hens, that I would be contemplating this!

Mo
I agree that I don't like to make a profit from friends, but if they have asked for eggs and you are buying more hens and extra food you could change for the eggs.
I reckon mine cost 6p /egg (not counting the expensive arc, if I add that in they cost 22p/egg and thats after 3 years).
So if I take them to a charity bring & buy I charge �1for 6, which is cheaper than Free range, if I'm keeping the cash it's 50p, which is cheapish shop egg price.
Before I kept eggs I was glad to buy eggs that I trusted were what they said they were, not some "free range by the letter of the law but...."