Mice and chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
lizro
Learner Laner

Mice and chickens

Post by lizro »

My neighbour was telling me that hens are good at catching mice. Is this true?

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Mice and chickens

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi not sure ,but they eat the ones the cat leaves in the garden . would not be surprised if a mouse got cauht in amongst the flock , it would have no chane . I have seen my girls pull a fledgeling to pieces before I could get to it.Mini raptors .
(It is the fouling of the food that kills chickens -bubble eyes etc.)
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'm not sure about catching them but they will certainly eat them. I think they may catch them though, they are very quick. My husband tells me he rescued a mouse (alive) from our cat and before he could turn around, our top hen had whipped it out of his hand and ran up the garden with it (with the rest of the flock in hot pursuit). The cat was still wondering what had happened! {rofwl}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

They are very good at catching them - and very quick (T-Rex and all that) I have seen them go down in one too - kinda spoils the omelette next morning...

Mike
scbk
Lively Laner

Post by scbk »

Mine will occasionally catch a young mouse, but I think the adult ones are too fast for them. By the time they notice the mouse and start running it's already gone! {rofwl}
DaveEllon
Learner Laner

Post by DaveEllon »

I'll be interested to see what happens this winter when the mice start coming into the garage again. I bought two traps last year after finding a hole gnawed in the base of a plastic gallon can of engine oil up in the mezzanine and a huge pool of oil soaking through the chipboard flooring. I caught a bunch of the little swines until they disappeared in the spring when there was plenty of food outside again. For a while it was one or two a day until I'd thinned the population out.

This year I'll give any I catch to the chucks. It's all good protein.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Gross alert - anyone of a sensitive disposition please don't read!

I was in the garden one day when I heard this strange thumping sound coming from behind me from some bushes. It was Rembrandt, my top hen, who had caught herself a mouse and was busy bashing its brains out on a step. Once she'd finished, down it went. )loo(

I don't think you need to worry about mice BUT I don't think all chickens have a taste for mice. I've never seen any of my other chooks bother with them, so perhaps its only those that have more intact T Rex genes
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , If rems actually shared her prize they soon would . My girls come from far and wide to have a piece of meat , no matter what it maybe .
Bob
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Mine prefer frogs to mice. They shared their run with a mouse. It lived there for ages.
They shared the garden with a vole, haven't seen it recently though.
They hunt for the frogs. They circle the pond, looking. They ate most of the taddies.
I haven't managed to rescue a frog yet. By the time I realise, it's curtains for Freddy.

On my nightly garden checks I do still see adult frogs and toads, so still have some about, just less than I used to!