Electric Fencing!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Electric Fencing!

Post by KathJ »

This is probably a really stupid question but over the winter we're going to have some changes in the garden and extend where our girls can free range when we're at home. However, we need to get some flexible netting so we can fence off certain areas when needed such as the veggie patch. I've looked online but other than Omlet there doesn't seem to be anywhere selling the sort of stuff we want other than electric netting. Now my silly question is:- Is there any reason why we can't/shouldn't use this but without electrifying it?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Re: Electric Fencing!

Post by amber66 »

Hello Kathyj.
I don't know about the electric fencing but i use rolls of the plastic netting that builders use (normally Green or Orange) with the metal poles that you can buy with it enabling you to move it around as needed.
Amber.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Thanks Amber, that would probably be OK but where do you get it from?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Strangely enough Paypal just invited me to look at my account, and I noticed a payment to http://www.knowlenets.co.uk/
Someone on here recommended them.
If you aren't going to put a current through it you don't need the expensive net.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Kathyj.
I got mine off of ebay. Just punch in "plastic barrier fencing".
Sorry useless with computers so can't give you a link.
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

I've built simple waist high frames to fit all my veg patches just out of bits of 2x2 and have stapled either chicken wire or garden netting over it (not the pea & bean stuff, that's too weak but mine is tougher black netting I got from a garden centre) and it works a treat. Round my fruit patch I have a frame of bamboo canes and netting over them and has also worked well as a chicken deterrent. Just make sure whatever you're growing that you don't want them to eat doesn't grow next to or through the netting, as they can get their beaks in and nibble
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Many thanks for some good suggestions )like(
Kath xx