Egg laying stopped

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Egg laying stopped

Post by Bluefinch »

My two hens have suddenly stopped laying. I have been getting two eggs a day since I had them as point of lays several months ago. Is it the time of year? Although I do wonder if they might be laying somewhere else in the garden as we have a visiting cockerel (another story) who did put them off laying in the coop for a few days. I am new to chicken keeping so learning as I go along. Love having them free range though.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Egg laying stopped

Post by Mo »

Well it could be the time of year. Are they moulting? Or they could be 'laying out'. How about keeping them in for the morning, or putting another box somewhere and see what happens.
Quite often the number of eggs drops as the days get shorter.
Good Luck
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Thanks for your reply Mo. No they don't seem to be moulting. I am just surprised that they should both stop laying on the same day!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It is that time of year, especially if they are into or due a moult. Have a scout round the garden though as they could be laying somewhere else as Mo says. Or they may have decided that they are due a rest. Mine have all pretty much packed laying in, but the days are getting shorter, they are all moulting and they are all of that age where they will start slowing down a bit (mine are about 18 months - 2 years)
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Bluefinch wrote: I am just surprised that they should both stop laying on the same day!

Yes it does seem odd. The first winter they often keep laying, even if not as regularly.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I have 3 hens. 1 is still laying, she usually stops around October. The one still laying went broody in the summer and had a month or 2 off then!

The other 2 decided that laying season stopped in July! They started their moults around August.

None of mine have laid through any winters, They first laid in 2012. The laying season just gets shorter for the 2 delicate poppets. :) They do start up again in February. (Have done so far, anyway).
They are Welsummers.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ah yes that's another question. What breed are they. Hybrids are more likely to lay in winter than pure breeds.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I will have to look around under the bushes etc to see if they are laying somewhere else. I will put an egg in the nest box tonight to try to encourage them to lay there if that is the case.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Mo wrote:Ah yes that's another question. What breed are they. Hybrids are more likely to lay in winter than pure breeds.

They are Blue Marans.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Just discovered 12 eggs under some nettles so the girls haven't stopped laying after all. Better bake a cake!
perchy

Post by perchy »

Bluefinch wrote:Just discovered 12 eggs under some nettles so the girls haven't stopped laying after all. Better bake a cake!

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}

They are tinkers!! get baking )t'

May be worth checking the coop for red mites too, just a precaution, although if they are going to bed ok it may just be they prefer to lay outside
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I think it was the cockerel (not mine) who put them off laying in the coop as he tends to go in there during the day. I have checked for red mites. Haven't seen any and I do clean out the coop every other day if not every day so I think I would have noticed them although not sure how small they are.

I put an egg in the nesting box last night to encourage them and just found two new eggs in there which was how I knew they had not stopped laying and the eggs must be somewhere.