buying chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
jay.smithhowell
Learner Laner

buying chickens

Post by jay.smithhowell »

hi im from pembrokeshire wales and im looking to buy two chickens can someone help me please

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: buying chickens

Post by jemberelli »

Hi, I haven't checked your area out but if you click the link it give you breeders by area. Good luck!

http://www.downthelane.net/chicken-bree ... /index.php
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Just a thought - the advice I was given was to get more than two, as being flock animals they really need company and if, say, you get three and you are unlucky enough to lose one, you'll still have two to keep each other company. So you're kind of hedging your bets. And it's really very little extra expense or work to have three instead of two. *

Hope you find what you're looking for.

(* although beware, some people find chicken keeping extremely addictive and it might not be much extra expense or work to have three instead of two, but twenty chickens and a load of bantams is a different matter. I've seen it happen... Chookaholism is a sad, sad condition for which there is no known treatment. Well apart from going cold turkey {rofwl})
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Dont get me rescuing turkeys before christmas....
I reccommend locking aat rescue chickensites like Fresh start for hens .do not cost to much and you can get charactors that really appreciate you and life. Lay eggs as well . (Sometimes .
Check the breed as well before you get them as varries as to their temperment and egg laying and size etc . So many colours as well . My son bought Bantums from wales and he lives in Essex . Delivered not sure how it was done but it is possible.
Good luck and welcome to a interesting experience . Be careful as it does get you hooked as a known start with 5 and now have 41 at last count .
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hi and welcome to the Lane.
Do tell us a bit about yourself. We are a nosy lot - and will demand pictures of your hens when you get them.
If you are buying a coop beware of the descriptions. You can be sold e.g. an arc with a run 'big enough for 6 hens'. Well the arc may be, hens snuggle up together at night (3 on top of each other in a nest box the size of an A4 sheet of paper sometimes), but the more space they have in the daytime to wander and explore the less squabbling and pecking you get. It is such a joy to watch them strutting about and being natural. We recommend 10 sq feet / hen in the run. So many times people have bought expensive stuff only to realise it was far too small. A lot of us have built 6' high 'walk-in' runs. Much easier to clean than having to crawl, especially in winter when it gets muddy. Have a look at this thread to see pictures of members coops & runs.
You might get the impression that hens have taken us over. As Henpen and Bob have said...
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire