Mice!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
kitla
Legendary Laner

Mice!

Post by kitla »

There seems to be an explosion of mice in our garden. They're in the rockery at
the back, they're in the woodpile at the front. They're building up in the
chicken run too, I think the occasional rat that used to get in scared/ate them as
I didnt see many around at that time. Now we've stopped the rats getting in the mice
are multiplying. I take the food in at night & the trough I use doesnt spill, but I think
they're setting up for the winter making nests lined with feathers.
Our main concern is our house, last winter we were invaded! But we spent ages
blocking up every hole & crack (house is like a swiss cheese if you look closely).
Caught the last of the mice & released in the nature reserve. So a mouse free
summer, )c( but now it's autumn, will they find a way in?
This morning son woken by a noise...mouse shot out from under his pillow )gr:
the signs are its just the one atm - maybe it hopped in when the door was open.
I can see us getting a cat by the end of winter.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Mice!

Post by KarenE »

Oooh blimey, under his pillow! Will he ever go to bed again???

Won't your girls sort the mice out? I'll lend you Remie if you want, she has been known to scoff them. Or Jasper, he's lethal when it comes to mice but I have to say, he has been the main culprit when we had a mouse family move in last year (he kept bringing them in alive) so he may only make things worse!

Tell you what though - humane traps baited with white chocolate coins. Worked a treat for us last year.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

KarenE wrote:Oooh blimey, under his pillow! Will he ever go to bed again???

Won't your girls sort the mice out? I'll lend you Remie if you want, she has been known to scoff them. Or Jasper, he's lethal when it comes to mice but I have to say, he has been the main culprit when we had a mouse family move in last year (he kept bringing them in alive) so he may only make things worse!
Tell you what though - humane traps baited with white chocolate coins. Worked a treat for us last year.

He wasn't amused Karen! and no the chooks dont pay any attention to the mice. I've
seen Beany catch one off the rockery once, but the others seem to think they're part
of the flock! Several neighbours cats stroll through our garden at night but the mice
are nice and safe in the run.
Anyway I caught the little darling yesterday & sent him to live in a pile of logs at the
nature reserve. Chocolate worked well for me too last year at first, then they
seemed to catch on & wouldnt go near the traps whatever was in them. I ended
up having to use that "treat at the end of cardboard tube hanging off the desk over
a bin" method.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I done that years ago into a bucket of water . like walking the plank .
Worked and let one wet mouse loose miles away.
Cats bring them into the house to play withh and they escape and they keep looking for them till caught again.
Bob