Fire work night and Halowen

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Fire work night and Halowen

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , excuse spelling , Any tips offered for the new Flocks and keepers and reminders to the old hands on preparing for noise and lights and over eating .
Bob

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Fire work night and Halowen

Post by KarenE »

The chooks don't mind, they're usually tucked up in bed and don't tend to get trick or treaters knocking on their doors.

I can't help with your overeating though Bob - stop nicking the kid's sweets {rofwl}

As for fireworks, same again as they are in bed. I suppose if in doubt make sure windows are well covered or put a tarp over and make sure fireworks are set well away especially Catherine wheels and such. I don't remember having any issues with bonfire night or Halloween. Although I guess if there's lots of noisy bangers and fireworks going it might affect their egg laying for a while.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I know after a few loud parties next door the boys had a lay in think they were bopping to the music . I know that stress Kills chickens and unexpected noise and flashing lights may have that effect . Especially us in Towns and suburbs .
Country folk and non practising human look alight burning , peoples would not appreciate it . Maybe chinese on new year day ,dragon day would. 4th July USA .
I know the dogs and cats howl /hide away . Not that I see them ,Karens Birthday on the 4th Nov .(Hence the Hols) .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

We used to have a fireworks party in our garden, but after a few near misses
with duff fireworks we were getting a bit concerned about safety. Then when we
got the chickens we stopped it, mainly from fear of a misfire setting fire to the
coop. People in the area have them & the chooks dont seem to be affected by the
noise, but I think if very close neighbours did some I might throw something over
the coop to muffle the sound a bit & protect them from a stray firework.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I was actually in the main run when an early firework banger went off - it seemed loud to me but the girls weren't bothered by it. However, last year the "new" neighbours let off one of those very big fireworks (once alight, a serious of bangs and displays that goes on and on and on) barely 10 feet from the run (it was on the other side of the fence) I was in the living room at the front of the house and was alarmed by the noise and too afraid to open my back door it was that close yike* Apart from the incredulity of having such big fireworks so close to the house but they also knew where the chickens were housed in my garden too }hairout{ I honestly thought the girls would have died from the shock but the next morning they were none the worse for the experience nor was the egg laying interrupted. The problem though is that we don't have a single night for fireworks but have to endure it for many weeks - this one off by the neighbours was not even on Bonfire Night - and it's not easy to completely cover the coops with something to deafen the noise level.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Same with me - never had a problem, they usually have a Display about half a mile away at the Hockey Club.

I used to check every 15 minutes, but after about the fifth year, just left them alone.

Mind you, they can't talk to us can they :-D

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome