Drake behaviour

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
jmt001
Learner Laner

Drake behaviour

Post by jmt001 »

Hi all
Just a question really about my drake - when he's sitting with me or following me round, every time i stop he starts nibbling at me non stop, at my clothes, under the bottom of my jeans, everywhere its quite cute and tickles when he does my feet - its not in the slightest bit aggressive but i wonder what behaviour he is exhibiting? Or is he just searching me for food lol. :-D

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Drake behaviour

Post by lancashire lass »

jmt001 wrote:but i wonder what behaviour he is exhibiting?

... maybe he thinks you are his lady friend? Sorry, I haven't kept ducks or know their behaviour
Ivan
Learner Laner

Post by Ivan »

Hi,

I have the same behaviour from my drake, he prefers nibbling and pinching my skin. He will chase me away until he is warn out!
Various articles will say it is a sign of affection, to show who's boss or stay away from my hens. Either way ducks are very amusing and are fun to watch.

Ivan
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Interesting.

Chicken Keepers will know that if you go into the Coop and stand around they will peck at your shoes or socks (don't go in with a scab showing near your ankles though).

I wouls say that Ivan is right, it's a kind inquisitive thing but equally an affectionate 'part of the family' thing.

I'd imagine it's quite nice all be it a nuisance sometimes when you trip over him.

Cockerels can be aggressive if you're interfering with their lady territory.

A bit of everything, but sounds like a kind of pecking order family thing as Iav suggests.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Richard my half pint cockerals are not aggressive at all ,really . They give warnings to the flock of noises like dogs barking ,helicoptors ,crows etc. But they do not attack at all . Probably leave it to the big girls and hide behind them . Billy the boss boy keeps well clear of me at all times .
Bob