Dwarf chicken?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Susan59
Lively Laner

Dwarf chicken?

Post by Susan59 »

I acquired 3 new girls to add to my 3 one year old girls. The newbies have been with us since July, two lovely lavender pekin bantams Molly and Sybil and our impulse purchase Tonks a mottled frizzle Pekin bantam. Tonks was a small ball of curly feathers which is what made her irresistible at the time. In nearly 4 months, she has hardly grown at all. She has all but lost the chirping of a chick and she is perfectly healthy, eating and drinking and foraging like the other girls - she is just tiny!! The lavenders still act as 'guardians' and look after Tonks if the big girls get a bit bossy.

I am not really worried about Tonks because she is lively and happy and healthy, but I was just curious to know if any one else amongst you more experienced laners has come across anything similar?

Who would ever have thought that chickens could be such fascinating creatures!
Aspiring to early retirement - 2 children, 1 dog, 1 cat and 6 lovely chickens

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Dwarf chicken?

Post by KarenE »

A mini bantam! Never heard of one, but Tonks sounds gorgeous and her big (ish) guardians are equally fantastic )t'

Some photos would be great... hint hint... :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Not heard of this but I am new to chicken keeping. Suppose they can come in all shapes and sizes just like us.

And yes aren't they fascinating. Can spend ages watching my two and they chat to me too.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I've not heard of a runt Chicken. I googled and nothing really came up other than to let things be - a possibility of a defect somewhere maybe.

But as long as she's happy, right proportionate weight, nice colourful Comb and eating, I wouldn't worry too much.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome