Dark nights

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
sandy
Legendary Laner

Dark nights

Post by sandy »

I think I said awhile ago at least when the girls are in bed when you come home you can relax in your jimjams. What was I thinking yike* I hate not seeing them, especially when I need to check on a poorly girl. I have to do the waters in the dark and am faced with a massive poo pick in the morning! Luckily tonight I was home earlier, my poorly girl was better and my bottom girl had some lap time. Roll on light nights {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Re: Dark nights

Post by KathJ »

I know just how you feel, it's awful isn't it. Luckily by hubbie works weeks about morning and afternoons so he's been there this week to let them out for an hour before bed but they've already gone in before I get home. Soon they'll have to start getting up in the dark too so I'll only get to see them in the daylight at the weekend {cry}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Twice I tried to leave work slightly earlier this week so that I could get home just before the girls went to bed but }hairout{ I also give someone a lift and we end up leaving at peak traffic which is even worse. Collecting the eggs in the dark was interesting - the White Ladies have a washing up bowl as a nest box which they don't sleep in so that was easy but in the Spice Palace, I had to gently furtle under chickens and they were not too pleased at being disturbed LOL Yesterday I noticed the nest box sleepers had moved on to the perches by the time I got down to the egg collecting.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Yes. 5.30 and it was dark today and my girls were already tucked up. But at least I work from home so I can nip outside and have a wander in the garden with them during the day.

I never knew chickens could be so companionable!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Anyone else feel sorry for the girls now that they are "banged up" from 5pm to 7am?

I could do with some reassurance that chickens don't mind having long nights.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

bmpsands wrote:I could do with some reassurance that chickens don't mind having long nights

it doesn't bother the wild bird population having shorter days too much (other than they have to find food) .... >eas1<

Providing their coop is well ventilated and dry, I can't see why it would be a problem. And it gives them a rest from egg laying over winter
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I think the girls deserve a good long rest after their 18 hour days. I think the only ones that suffer are their owners who go to work
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I always wonder what they do in there all that time. Are they asleep the whole time?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , the answer what they do in there coops at night can be read on the diaries section (henpals) .
I can tell you eat drink and party . ,Hand bags are often done as well after somebody slips into another girls nest/perch area.I have been out their watching them so many time s. I must be sad ,really sad.
Go home and check them when on night shift as well.
Bob