Problems upon problems

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Problems upon problems

Post by HenPen »

Poor old Ginger has been having a really tough time. Earlier this year she had an implant which worked wonders for a while but didn't even last six months before she needed a new one and more antibiotics.

This one just doesn't seem to have had the same miraculous effect and, while she seemed a bit better for a while, her droppings have not gone back to normal and she has had a constant mucky bum.

Then I noticed a couple of days ago that she seemed very weak, unable to jump up onto quite low surfaces, unable to perch. She has lost lots of weight - well pretty much all of it if I am honest: she is just skin and bone. She only seems to want to eat worms - she's quite voracious about those. Tonight I brought her indoors again and was cuddling her to warm her up when I felt something on my arm - turned out to be a straw coloured poultry louse. (Sorry everyone if I have started you itching - I know I am!)

Since I have checked her every time I have blow dried her - which has been extremely regularly recently - I wasn't expecting that.

I have checked her thoroughly this evening and, while I definitely saw another one running for cover, the base of her feathers are clean, without lice eggs. I googled and gather this means it must be early days for them.

My gut instinct is therefore that the darn things will certainly be making matters worse when she is so low, but are unlikely be the cause of her downturn.

I plan to go to the vet tomorrow. I am not feeling very hopeful for Ginger, she is so poorly.

And whatever else, it looks like I have my work cut out for me with a huge tub of DE tomorrow.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Problems upon problems

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear, it does soundlike tough times in the House of Fruits. HP, put a spot of frontline for cats on them all, they'll be gone in a day. It works brilliantly.

I used it on Tiggs and it cleared them right up. I also saw one on Juno the day before she died and I've often wondered whether they played a role in her illness

Good luck at the vets with Ginger tomorrow. So sad to hear of her continuing ill health
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I am sorry to hear of your problems and hope that they are quickly cleared up. I have so far not had any such problems with my girls but have heard about front line and have some in my chicken medical box just in case.
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Thank you both. I'm sorry to say Ginger didn't make it. The vet was very kind but there was nothing to be done to save her. He said the lice and other insects tend to be drawn to poorly birds but that it wouldn't have made a difference to her condition, which was an egg laid internally.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

So sorry you've lost your lovely girl {cry} There seems to have been a few losses on here recently - it makes me so sad when I hear of them!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx